Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does the current sail kit work with a 2016ish Oasis Mirage (with the newer style seats)?

The sail kit product description says it works with current mirage kayaks, so that made me wonder if they have changed anything that would make it incompatible with my older vessel.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The latest sail kit will work just fine on your Oasis. Well, as fine as it can given how far back the mast receiver is in the Oasis. Works great downwind through beam reach, but will not point upwind much. We mostly use it on downwind legs.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info Peter! I'll take beam reach or anything near it - that should work for us! The plan is to get the family into this one and leverage their enjoyment into an AI or TI ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On our Oasis we have the sail kit, the rudder-mounted Evolve (Torqueedo) motor, the sidekick amas (improves sailing and provides added stability in open water), a Garmin chartplotter, and a bilge pump. We consider it a baby TI. We have logged several 25 to 30 mile days.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow you are fully loaded! How essential do you think the sidekick amas are for sailing? I'm wondering if they need to be purchased at the same time as the sail. Is your bilge pump manual or electric?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I recommend having the amas if you plan to sail in windy conditions or use the Oasis in rough conditions. The Oasis is narrow and can be tippy. We usually leave the sidekicks in the highest position (out of the water) but lower them to middle position when it gets really windy or in seas/waves.

Our bilge pump is electric but not automatic. We have 2 Hobie Outfitter kayaks that took on a lot of water since new so I put a bilge pump in the Oasis when we bought it. Turns out the Oasis is very dry and I never needed the pump once in the first 5 years. Then one day while 5 miles offshore in wind and waves I noticed we were sitting lower and getting even wetter than usual. Turned pump on and watched the ocean come out of our kayak for several minutes. Had to turn it on again every 10 minutes or so as we hightailed it back to shore. I WAS SO GLAD I INSTALLED THE BILGE PUMP! We also carry a hand bilge pump but there is no way we could have used it since opening a hatch for access would have let water in faster than we could pump it out. There are manual pumps that mount through the deck and these would be okay I suppose.

Once ashore I inspected the kayak and found two cracks above and below the rudder mount. After several hundred miles under power with the Evolve mounted on the rudder, often in rough water, the added stress caused the hull material to soften above and below the rudder mount and eventually crack. I repaired and reinforced the hull last year and will be be posting pictures and details soon.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, what a treasure trove of information that post was - thank you! I had started looking into the torqeedo as a rudder mount option after you mentioned it. It certainly makes sense to have it be able to lift up if you hit something and it also frees up your peddle drive to contribute, but I doubt many people have put enough miles on theirs to discover this issue you just described, which is great to be aware of. I'll look forward to your post to see how you reinforced it for the future.

It sure would be nice if there was a torqeedo-like insert option that had a hinged release for impacts.

Thanks for sharing - are all of your electronics self powered or are you running them off of some kind of base batter setup?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The chartplotter and bilge pump are powered by a 12V SLA battery using the Hobie battery mount (72025007) in the aft-most round hatch. This mount keeps the battery up high out of any water that might collect. The Evolve is powered by the larger 916wh battery in the bow.

Though the Evolve has served us well, I am not a fan. Motor is not brushless, uses a reduction drive, and is quite loud. My first one had to be replaced due to water incursion which seems to be a problem with earlier versions. One other note on the rudder-mounted Evolve is you cannot sail without applying a bit of power to the motor. The rudder mount does not have enough surface area to maintain steerage under sail.

Peter