Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.castlecraft.com/kayak_stabilizer.htm

^ if you scroll down that page, they used two of my youtube videos to advertise their product without my permission.
Think I should complain, or not worth it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

They should give credit at the minimum... and pay you for your effort for sure.

I'd tell them to do the above or remove.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Matt.
BTW, did Hobie ever consider a rigid ama kit for the smaller kayaks, or did marketing dept think it would cannibalize the aspiration to upgrade to an Adventure Island?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Yes we have. It is just that our "tree" if full of other low hanging fruit! Too many good projects to do. We keep adding designers and engineers and the list just gets larger.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Yes we have. It is just that our "tree" is full of other low hanging fruit! Too many good projects to do. We keep adding designers and engineers and the list just gets larger.

Hey that's a GOOD problem to have! :lol:
Remind them to keep the Outback bow/hull redesign (you know, the one to make it more like the SPORT's new nose to reduce hull slap) on the front burner :wink:

Meanwhile I've almost finished saving up for my 2015 Revolution 13. It will likely get the same rigid ama treatment as my 2012 Revo11 (which I am not selling because that love affair is still going strong :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you allow video sharing on YouTube, anybody can share your videos. Change the settings on YouTube and don't share videos.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ronbo613 wrote:
If you allow video sharing on YouTube, anybody can share your videos. Change the settings on YouTube and don't share videos.

I do have some that are "unlisted" so I know what you mean.
I was just taken aback by this company listing our videos as if they were their customers' feedback.

THIS is the actual website where I got them:
http://store.springcreek.com/Kayak-Acce ... p1581.html

Also, as someone who works at an online retailer, the SpringCreek online storefront looks a lot more legitimate (and secure) than the Castlecraft website (I wouldn't trust that site with my credit card at all!).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I do have some that are "unlisted" so I know what you mean.
I was just taken aback by this company listing our videos as if they were their customers' feedback.

I don't have enough time left in my natural life to real all of YouTube/Google's fine print, but I think it's pretty safe to say that when you upload a video to Google's video sharing website, unless you state the video is private and not to be shared(I don't know if you can do that or if it would work if you did), you can assume that it will be shared by anyone who wants to. Knowing this is going to happen, as a business, you should place a "bug"(the company logo) on the video and/or include a title, name and website of your business somewhere in the video. That way, "sharing" the video works to your advantage. When you put content on a server you don't own, it's pretty tough to tell whoever owns the storage space and bandwidth what to do with it.

As far as the videos in the OP, where is the product being advertised? The company just shared the videos from YouTube, they don't claim ownership of the videos or state that they have any connection to the company. You could ask them to take them down or if they want to use them, ask for some free stuff. Or, take the videos off YouTube, when the company has to change their website to get rid of the dead vids, put them back up. Or change your YouTube channel and move the videos. If you would monetize the videos, you might make a few extra bucks by having them on the company's website.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good points Ronbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Better to learn how the system works and make it work for you. Look into monetizing your YouTube videos, you've got enough views. Make sure the music on your videos is not copyrighted if you do that.