Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife and I went to our Hobie dealer to look at the AI and Getaway last Friday. We are trying to decide what we would prefer, 2 AIs or a Getaway. The dealer did not have the AI set up to look at and the getaway was just the hulls on a trailer so I was not able to get a real hand on feeling of what I would like better.

I am worried that the AI will not be challenging for me and to hard to sail for my wife, a first timer.

On the other hand the Getaway will take more time to set up at the beach and would need crew in heavy winds.

Any one out there who has sailed both and can share you thoughts?

Thanks - Rangerdude

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is 3 months later and there are many issues deciding between these models, I faced the same choice myself.
First, buy both if you can.

What it comes down to is that with the Getaway you will always need assistance and its not always possible on short notice to find an experienced crew member let alone a volunteer who likes getting a wet arse for no good reason.

However the AI can be transported, launched and sailed alone when you want to go without having to rely on, or wait for, other fallible or reluctant humans.

There are plenty of young thrillseekers out there that find the AI can be just as challenging and exciting as a Getaway albeit not as fast.
But no boat, fast or slow, is any use to you if you can't use it immediately when the opportunity and good conditions present themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Max,

Just an update, wife and I bought two AIs and love them. In fact this spring we just added two Sports to the fleet.

I did get to go out on a Getaway last summer and although is is a nice ride, I know I made the right decision.

Randy

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rangerdude

About 3 years ago, I explored the idea of getting 2 Adventures AND a Getaway and decided to start with the Adventure, with the sail kit (not the Island version - the Island was announced shortly after).

Being a sailor and prior owner of a Hobie 16, 18sx, windsurfer, and big boat charterer, I still would like to have a Getaway (or other HobieCat, or Island) someday, when I have more time to enjoy both. The reality is that I am so satisfied with my Adventure that I am not in a hurry to get a cat. As mentioned by the skymax's previous post, kayaks are so easy to transport, launch, and operate solo (since I like to get out more often than my wife, this comes in handy). Here are a few other things you might want to consider:

How much time to you have to get out on the water?
If you have the option of getting out for frequent short trips, then I would favor the kayaks. I live in an area with several lakes and rivers, affording me opportunities to frequently squeeze in a quick "peddle". This has been the greatest advantage of the kayak over a sail boat. I have used my kayak once or twice a week 9 months a year in a climate that has a rainy and cool winter. Far more use than I ever got out of any of my sail boats.

How steady is the wind where you live? You can always enjoy the kayak, wind or not. You never need to worry about with the AI. If I lived in a temperate climate, with steady wind, and easy launch locations, and a reliable crew, I might favor a GetAway.

Do you have narrow waterways with abundant wildlife? If you do, an Adventure will give you access to places you will never see with any type of a sailboat.

Do you want to sail together, or carry extra passengers on the same boat?
Obviously this favors the Getaway. This is something I considered and would definately like to have, however, this requirement is too infrequent for me to sacrifice the other advantages of the Adventure.

I hope these questions/comments help you decide what is best for you. Either way, you will have a great time and won't regret getting a Hobie. Great products and support. I tried another brand of sailboat at one time and regretted it.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rangerdude -

After posting my reply, I noticed you already bought you AI's. Congratulations!! I'm sure you will love them. Though my post is obsolete for your purposes, perhaps someone else out there will have a similar question.