Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kayak Sailing Forum
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How come there is no Forum for kayak sailing, as in sailing the Outback or Sport models? Or have I just missed it somewhere?? Thanks.

Last edited by Apalach on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: You started it!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:50 am 
Site Admin

You started it!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: You started it!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
You started it!

Cool! Guess I had better remove my question marks then...
Dick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK--here is a post to get us off on the right foot--err, I mean the right tack. I haven't been sailing since I was teenager (I'm not counting sailing across the South Pacific and Indian Oceans on a 130 foot schooner as a young adult). So, it was with a bit of trepidation that I took the helm of my Outback for the first time to try out my new sail kit. Turns out that it was a "breeze", literally and figuratively. You rig the sail according to the Hobie directions, let it luff, shove off, and then go with whatever wind happens to catch the sail. The wind velocity was a bit more than recommended (about 15-20 knots), but it still seemed to handle pretty well. It did capsize once when a quick gust caught it, but since the boat (and I) was/were already on the beach, no big ting. However, when sailing close hauled I had trouble relaxing and enjoying the ride because the extra friction of the main sheet with its contact points tended to make it not as quick to respond as I would have liked. I felt like if I left it close hauled just when I was getting up a good head of steam (so to speak), any quick gust might put her on her beam ends before I could fall off sufficiently.

To help correct this (and my confidence), I made a few modifications to the basic Hobie rig. The main sheet on the Hobie rig loops around the port side to the stern. To make the main sheet make even more responsive, I attached a Harken 16 mm #417 block to a SS carabiner that I had previously added to the stern handle eye strap. This gave me a clean and fairly friction-free fairlead up to the tag end of the main sheet.

The next thing I did was to add a West Marine cleat to the upper starboard side just ahead of the mid-ships handle. I then attached a SS shackle to this new cleat. This cleat also comes in handy as an anchor or leash attachment point. I then attached to the shackle a Harken #404 16 mm block thru which I ran the main sheet (with an overhand knot in the tag end). This tended to cut down the overall friction in the system, and to make the main sheet and sail more responsive so I could sail close-hauled and (hopefully) cut down the chance of a quick gust putting the yak and me on our beam ends.

Overall, sailing the Outback was a blast and I really enjoyed sailing again after a many-year hiatus. I have to say that a yak under sail certainly provoked a lot of stares from the CPBs (my name: "crazed power boaters") down at Shell Point, as well as the HobieCat sailors in the vicinity. Lot?s of fun and I can heartily recommend the Outback and Sport model sail kits to anyone who might be interested.

I have to add that I have not yet tried to fish and sail on the same trip, but for a long distance fishing excursion, it might be just the ticket to get there and/or back without unduly wearing out the old bod. I have heard from several folks who have done this successfully, but you sure better have your stuff together in terms of storage for both the sail and the rods on deck. Murphy's Law will eventually prevail, so K.I.S.S. is the operative motto here! The sail kit certainly gives the Outback fisher another option to go along with the pedals and paddles. No other kayak manufacturer can come close to saying that no how, no way!

Last edited by Apalach on Mon May 29, 2006 8:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: You started it!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
You started it!

Cool! Guess I had better remove my question marks then...
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:42 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I played around with the blocks like you did and found that it helped out a lot! I also found that when the wind hits and you think that you are going to go over if you retract the mirage drive, one foot forward, the yak tends to side slip a bit more and you have more time to react. I also put roller furling on the main so I could reef the sail if need be. I will see if I can get some pictures up, its simple but not pretty, I did not want to drill holes in the mast so I used the universal sailing tool, duct tape!

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="sunjammers"]I played around with the blocks like you did and found that it helped out a lot!

Hey Brad,
Thanks for the info. I am not quite sure how you accomplished your roller furling of the main. Would love to see some pics of your setup when you can post them. Interesting about retraction of the Mirage flippers giving you more time to react. I would have guessed that you might have less time without your "centerboard" Mirage flippers extended.
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't own a Hobie Kayak yet but like the tandem one. Is it possible to use the sail option with two people or is it a solo thing only?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Willard wrote:
I don't own a Hobie Kayak yet but like the tandem one. Is it possible to use the sail option with two people or is it a solo thing only?

Hey Willard,
Good question. According to Hobie, a sail kit IS available for the Tandem with the Mirage drive pedal system. I am not quite certain just where the mast holder is on the Tandem, however, since it does not appear in the illustrations on the Web site. On the Outback and Sport, the mast holder is on the forward deck just ahead of the cockpit. On the Tandem I would guess that it is just behind the forward paddler, but that its position may be covered by the forward seat back in the illustration below.

Post subject: Outback Sailing
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also have made some modifications on my outback for sailing. I added outriggers for better stability they cost about $300 but have increased the fun factor big time. I have sailed in 20 knots and have yet to capsize. I have tried. However, it did not take long to brake the mast so I replaced it with 3/4 inch stainless steel tubing. Which has worked out pretty well except after 9 months its has a slight bend. I can't say enough about the outriggers they were easy to install and greatly improved performance. I also have had a bigger mylar sail made which cost me $150. This also gave me more power. In 15 knots of breeze on a close reach I can easily hit 6 knots acording to my GPS. I also added harken blocks bigger line as well as a 2 to 1 purchase for the main sheet. also added a 2 to 1 purchase for the cunningham as well. I found the outriggers at www.canoegear.com. These are great people and have helped me a lot. They also sell lee boards which I am going to try next. Darin[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To use the sail kit with the Tandem Mirage there is a scupper hole under the forward seat pad in which an adapter fits which accepts the mast of the sail. Therefore you can use the Tandem with a sail kit but only with one person, unless of course you have a smaller person that can sit in the footwell area of the forward seating position (a bit uncomfortable for anybody but a kid or dog).

Post subject: Re: Outback Sailing
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="dmkpond"]I also have made some modifications on my outback for sailing. I added outriggers for better stability they cost about $300 but have increased the fun factor big time. I have sailed in 20 knots and have yet to capsize.

Awesome--sounds like a pretty impressive setup! Maybe you could post a pic or two. I too have added outriggers to my Outback, but mine are strictly DIY using RAM tubes and lobster pot buoys. I will try to post some info and pics later on how one can go about making their own, if so inclined. They work like a charm, are easy to stow on deck if need be, and can easily be removed and adjusted for different conditions and sea state (see pic below).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My wife and I both have the sail kits on our sports and we love them! We use them every time out on the lake, wind or not. With all of the crazy boaters zinging around us, it makes us feel a little safer with the sails up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Scott wrote:
My wife and I both have the sail kits on our sports and we love them! We use them every time out on the lake, wind or not. With all of the crazy boaters zinging around us, it makes us feel a little safer with the sails up.

My next purchase will be a Sport for my wife. She has never sailed before, so I thought we would share my sail kit--but maybe not! I have a feeling she will want one of her own as well. It is a kick to be sailing among HobieCats and their crews and to be the center of attention in my little yak. I have had the same concern about being seen by CPBs (my term: "crazed power boaters") during the height of the summer season in the bays and estuaries around here. So--if I'm not sailing, I rig a flag mounted on a bicycle flag pole inserted in half a pool stick, that is in turn inserted in the mast holder. Got a Florida State flag at Boat USA that clips right to the fiberglas bike pole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Technically this isn't really a kayak sailing forum; it is just a sailing topic within the open forum. What would it take to create a true 'kayak sailing' forum and move the appropriate discussions?