Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Our local small lake has sailboat racing under the Portsmouth Handicap ratings, primarily Sunfish, Laser, Laser 2 and similar boats. For some variety and just for the heck of it, I am thinking of doing some of the races with my i12s. I have the sailing rudder installed, and the standard fins are currently mounted although I have turbo fins too. I was thinking of racing the Laser for two races, they have a lunch break between the 2nd and 3rd race, then the Hobie for two races, kinda benchmarking myself. Of course, no peddling or paddling after the start sequence begins. (Unless I'm so far behind that the next start is being way delayed, I'll take a DNF to keep things moving.) Even though I am often a top finisher, I miss enough of the weeks (missed races are scored as # of starters plus one) that I am out of the trophies at the end of the series, so this is purely for fun. It's usually light wind, with some medium puffs, I expect to point poorly, but reach and run OK. I'm inclined to rake the mast forward to minimize the weather helm, and add a mainsheet block. I know the turbo fins would help reduce lateral slipage, but I think I will forgo that advantage.

My question, anyone have an idea of a tentative Portsmouth handicap number to give the race committee? (once they stop laughing.)

Ed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Ratings are developed from racing results, so ... just a very big guess would be made. You can review a list of handicap ratings to see if something fits I'd guess.

This is some small monohull ratings: http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/tables08/tables08cb.asp

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I raced the Hobie i12S. I was assigned a Portsmouth rating of 104. Normally I am at least mid fleet with my Laser or Sunfish unless I break boat parts or make some major mistake. I finished DeadFreakinLast with the Hobie i12S in every race. It would of taking a rating above 200 to 275 to get me to mid fleet results. This was in light air, with an occasional medium air gust, the windward leg was particularly painful, if it would not have been shifty, and I tacked on the lifts, I would have done far worse. After a minute or two in each race, clear air was not a problem!! I purposely started and promptly DNF'd the race before lunch or I would have starved. I tried not to pedal at all, but occasionally did to get through a tack. Competitors waited for me longer than they raced!!
My Set Up: Standard fins, sailing rudder, mast was raked front with moderately tight, full length, side shrouds. The fins were down going up wind, I would raise them off the wind (with the pedals, I did not pull them out), the kayak was very stable.
The sailing ability was about what I expected, I love my i12S, it has many more strengths than weaknesses. I took the sail out, grabbed some food and drink, and pedaled around the lake after the races, that is its forte'.