All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Do I need sidekicks to sail my Revo 11?
IT'S A MUST 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
NO WAY 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Getting a sail for my Revo....

Do I really need sidekick amas? I like to be as minimalist as possible, but what's the point if you spend the whole time upside down? :-)

I will be doing the majority of my sailing across a lagoon (+\- 2mi), flat to medium chop, winds usually around 10mph but occasionally 15-20.

What would you say? Anybody tried it both ways?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Without a weighted keel, the Revo can be up upset by strong winds against the factory sail. Get the Sidekicks. They are quickly removed when you don't need them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail in the Outback all of the time. If you are going to be in 10-15mph wind, your first priority should be making a furling device. As long as you furl the sail and pay attention you should be okay.

Try it out (furling device) in the winds and see for yourself... Speed is addicting- Im currently looking at the Islands.....

If I go out in 15mph gusts with the sail, I bring my SprinkCreek Stabilizers- More for safety reasons than anything.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

VaBeach1 wrote:
If I go out in 15mph gusts with the sail, I bring my SprinkCreek Stabilizers- More for safety reasons than anything.

What sort of speeds do you get out of the Outback ?

Lowrance Pro Staff
YakAttack Pro Staff
Hook1 Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you don't mind getting dunked every few minutes, then NO.

If not, then I'd highly recommend outriggers of some sort.

I used to sail my Revo and if the wind was gusty, it would literally be impossible to prevent a capsize unless the outriggers were on.

This is what I did:

www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=40534

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I usually get 5-7mph on my Outback, but conditions must be perfect. I'm in a fairly calm area of water-virtually lake water.

I've never capsized because I am always ready to let go & or furl the sail a little... Your Hull will limit you to (in my opinion) around 7-8mph MAX. Revo owners would need to chime in.

Again, try it out first without the sidekicks. 8-10mph should be ideal for you to learn the in and outs of the Yak. Its the Gusts that you need to be prepared for!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

VaBeach1 wrote:
I usually get 5-7mph on my Outback, but conditions must be perfect. I'm in a fairly calm area of water-virtually lake water.

I've never capsized because I am always ready to let go & or furl the sail a little... Your Hull will limit you to (in my opinion) around 7-8mph MAX. Revo owners would need to chime in.

Again, try it out first without the sidekicks. 8-10mph should be ideal for you to learn the in and outs of the Yak. Its the Gusts that you need to be prepared for!

Cheers for the reply.

I've been out twice now, though there was very little wind and I was averaging 2.5-4mph. I've just come back from the sea front, fully loaded and good to go, though again there's no wind :cry:

It's forcast to pick up later, we'll see. I've had just over 7mph peddling for short distances, though it's not worth the effort. You can cruise at 4-5 mph with the Turbo fins without much effort.

I was guessing 5-7mph as you've said.

Lowrance Pro Staff
YakAttack Pro Staff
Hook1 Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've got a Revo 11 too, my first trip out was in 12-15 knots without outriggers. As long as you're leaning your weight windward and have your hand poised to release the mainsheet at all times you can get away without outriggers. You'll go a bit faster too, on account of the reduced drag. I like to troll lures under sail though, so the sidekicks are handy since my hands are often busy with fishing rods.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Squidley wrote:
I've got a Revo 11 too, my first trip out was in 12-15 knots without outriggers. As long as you're leaning your weight windward and have your hand poised to release the mainsheet at all times you can get away without outriggers. You'll go a bit faster too, on account of the reduced drag. I like to troll lures under sail though, so the sidekicks are handy since my hands are often busy with fishing rods.

I'm also interested to start sailing my Revo11.
Do you find the sail rigging interferes with trolling?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Every time you add another line, almost anywhere on the boat, you've introduced just one more thing for hooks and reels to tangle in.

Now having said that, I think it's a small price to pay for the additional motive option the sail gives you. You just have to pay attention and get used to where things are. You're going to tangle a few things first few times out, but eventually you'll get a personal system in place and won't have much trouble.

Remember, if the sailing rigging was that much of an impediment to fishing/trolling, the Adventure and Tandem Island kayaks wouldn't have become so popular with fishermen.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Every time you add another line, almost anywhere on the boat, you've introduced just one more thing for hooks and reels to tangle in.

Aye, that's true. I'll have to chose between sailing OR fishing until I can get the hang of doing both at the same time, and even then maybe limit myself to just one trolling rod.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail & fish my Outback all the time. When I first began to fish with the sail- I kept it simple. One rod & only the baits/hooks/etc that would fit into the center hatch :) No FF, rod holders, etc- Basic old simple rigging.

Problem I have is that the sailing is addictive... New AI just came....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jcanracer wrote:
Squidley wrote:

I'm also interested to start sailing my Revo11.
Do you find the sail rigging interferes with trolling?

Sorry for getting back late. I've not had a hook in any rigging yet, I do things fairly deliberately and I've replaced trebles on my lures with single hooks or stingers. Reaching a lure to get weed off while underway is a hassle since you can't lift the rod up and across the kayak. The trick is to point the rod forward and release line til the lure's next to you where you can grab it. You could furl the sail and stop the boat but if I did that for every piece of weed I'd get nowhere :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail in an outback with the AMAs which worked well until I lost one because the post is glued instead of pinned. If you get these do yourself a favor, drill and pin the posts or they will fall apart.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I troll for stripers and blues in Sandy Hook, NJ while sailing. When a fish hooks up I let go of the sail line and fight the fish. With the AMA side kicks you can rest your rod end on the pontoon arm and deal with the fish and hooks very easily.
That said be sure your gear is leashed or you may lose it.
Also tie the sail line within reach or it will be pulled out of the back eye. Hobie sells a brass hook with a round hole typically used on anchor lines that I leave hooked to the back eye. The rope slides thru this very nice which helps to prevent flips because when you let go it releases without any drag.
On the outback I mounted a scotty on the right side ahead of the in haul rod holder and turned it to cross over the yak to the left at an angle that is just under the sail but over the peddles. I have never had a problem with the sail rope or hooks tangling. The trick is to adjust your rudder so you can peddle slightly to keep moving in a circle towards the fish which keeps things neat.