Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob,
We need to link up for a sail! Would like to get some pointers from you. I was researching some places to launch around Anna Maria island and longboat key. Seems to be a nice area on the south end of Anna Maria that has easy access to the gulf through the pass and you can sail up to mar vista or Moore's for lunch and beers. I also heard the flats fishing behind Anna maria was good. Send me an email.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MikeSail:
That would be fun. I usually launch from the Thompson park right next to Sarasota sailing squadron which is on the south end of longboat. It's a nice central location where you can go south or north. I tend to stay close to launch (and shore) in the winter, and don't like to venture into the gulf in the winter ( I try to stay in Sarasota bay, and only go out when other boats are around). It's about 13 miles from City island up to Anna Maria I've sailed up there many times in the summer, it usually takes me a couple hrs to get there when the winds are right. I've sailed up to Ft Desoto and Egmont key a few times to go scuba diving, but found it is much easier to launch from Ft Desoto to get to Egmont key it's only about 6 miles out to Egmont but there is not much to do out there besides snorkel (we meet our powerboating friends there and anchor just off shore (can't go on the land)). When we can get in there it's fun for us to camp at Ft Desoto park but it's usually full.
I haven't been there before but it looks like there is a city beach on south bay blvd (near pine st (city pier)) on Anna Maria that we could probably launch from. I car top my TI so I can launch from anywhere there is parking near the water (a really nice feature of the Adventure boats).
I don't know that area very well, so if you find a better place, PM me some weekend after xmas and we can go out (weather permitting). I'm working on my boat right now so it won't likely be done till after Xmas (making all new sails).
Bob

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In one strong gust while Reaching my GPS read 18 KMH for a couple of seconds.
This is very unusual and was scary but most impressive was how well the AI handled it.
The Bow initially buried and I thought "Pearl!", but it scooped out and was actually bouncing along on top of the water for a few seconds.
This speed is rare for me, usually if I get a consistent 10Kmh that is pretty good.