Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I bought myself a Sidekick outrigger system for Christmas and finally got a chance to try it out yesterday. I'm using it on a folding kayak and have the center cross tube mounted behind my seat as it would be on a Hobie.

I have to say that it worked fantastically and I think it's the best bang for the buck in terms of kayak outriggers.

Anyway, I sailed in very cold conditions; temp around 34˚ to try out the rig. When I came back close to the beach I tried to take the outriggers off from inside the kayak - The fit is tight and when I pulled, the male joining piece came out of the outrigger extension. This actually happened on both sides. I think the temp was a contributing factor. The gloves and perhaps not pushing the button thoroughly another.

I'd like to re-glue it and I will probably put some set screws through the tubing to keep it from happening again.

Does anyone know what type of glue Hobie uses on this stuff? I'd like to keep the glue in the same family to avoid complications.

Thanks,

Dennis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, here's what I ended up doing for the time being.

I was thinking of using Gorilla glue but the old glue residue would require so much clean up I took a shortcut - maybe I'll clean it when the weathers warmer.

I picked up a few black anodized #6 metal screws about 1/2" long.

With the plastic insert in place and properly oriented I drilled a hole on the fore and aft size with a 7/64" bit - through the metal, through the plastic. Then I took a 1/4" bit and made a taper for the screw head to sit inside. Working slowly you drill out the aluminum until the reversed screw head kinda fits inside this hole. The screw in the screw.

The 1/4" taper gives the screw a chance to be more flush with the rounded tubing.

It looks good and seems very tight. Obviously another round of glue would have been a good addition... but the fit is tight and I think two screws holding each outrigger should work for quite a while.

I'll make a note here if I run into further problems.

d

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had this problem last August and posted a question here. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44285&start=0&hilit=ama+adhesive Several solutions were offered. I ended up using the two part epoxy. It's still holding.