Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am 100% new to this, and don't even have a kayak yet. I'm saving monthly for my first big purchase. But, very excited!

Having not sailed since the Boy Scouts, 20 years ago, I really have no idea how to sail. That said, I am excited to learn, and am relatively certain that I want to get the TI as I am married with a small one. I hope to build knowledge and experience to sail for a weekend and camp with wife or friend.

A) How does the TI handle just as a paddle/ peddal kayak w/out the amas?

B) How difficult is it to learn to sail with the TI? Any advice on how to pull that off?

I live in Southern California, venturing (not far) off to sea.

Any/ all advice welcome. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gregoire wrote:

A) How does the TI handle just as a paddle/ peddal kayak w/out the amas?

Very well! Takes a bit more room to turn, but is very comfortable and stable. And the Mirage Drives make it quite fast! Here is a video of us going down a narrow, twisty river. Had to use the paddle to help negotiate through the slow moving crowd at times, but in a more open water environment, you will be able to just pedal and steer with the rudder.

Much of the video shows my friends in their rental boats (being quite jealous) but there are some shots of our boat in action, both above and below the waterline.

http://youtu.be/_ZF3tmfjg5g

Gregoire wrote:

B) How difficult is it to learn to sail with the TI? Any advice on how to pull that off?

Not at all. It is one of the simplest rigs out there. Your dealer likely has an orientation or demo program to help you with the specifics of your particular boat. Before you go check it out, peruse the myriad articles online about "points of sail" and other sailing topics and you should be able to get comfortable quickly. Just stay out of the swells until you are comfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gregoire :
Even though Hobie doesn't advertise the TI as a kayak at all, it is by a long shot the fastest and best kayak they make. We have owned several different Hobie kayaks and the TI (as a kayak) is by a long shot our favorite kayak (we are long time kayakers). We have used it in kayak mode pretty much everywhere we had used our Oasis and Revo's, things like exploring rivers, running class 2 rapids (mild rapids), and just about anything else we could ever do with a kayak.
As a tandem kayak it's a little longer and a little heaver than the Oasis, but not by much. Actually loading on top of our car for some reason is actually easier for me than it ever was loading our Oasis (which is also a tandem kayak) ( I always load by myself, and I'm not a big guy). I think because it is longer, there is less angle to lift, and there are definitely more hand holds. You only lift half the boat at a time (about 45 lbs), so as long as you do it properly (it takes practice to get a routine down), it's actually very easy and fast. I did it every weekend for over 3 yrs now, sometimes 2-3 times per weekend.

As far as maneuvering goes, our TI's are much more maneuverable than our (old style) Oasis was, but to be fair the newer Oasis models I understand are quite nice. But keep in mind all tandem kayaks are longer and larger than most other recreational single kayaks so even a TI isn't as maneuverable in tight places as a Revolution single would be, but even with just one person pedaling the TI is faster than the Revo (which is one of Hobies best single kayaks). Actually we ended up selling our Oasis, and Revolutions, and only have just the TI now that we use for everything (we prefer tandem kayaking)

Learning how to sail the TI is super simple, you just go out in low winds and practice, getting together with other TI sailers is always good, or even just watching other TI's when they are out you will figure it out quickly (about 20 minutes of playing around I would guess). If the wind picks up or you start getting worried, just furl the sail and you can pedal great distances if needed. Both me and my wife can pedal a TI for ten hours once day, then get up and do it again the next day with no problems and neither of us is in very good shape. Never think about pedaling like your in a race, and trying to get somewhere fast. Just think like you are riding your beach cruiser bike thru the neighborhood and waving at the neighbors as you pass by(ie... a nice slow steady pace). Before you know it your at you destination, and better yet it was all by 100% human power (very good exercise). The trick with the huge turbo fins is to just push lightly and at a steady slow pace and the boat just flies by everyone else (as seen in the video), and you just don't get tired. Unless you want to fly along at 6-7 mph, we are only good for a few hundred yards at that pace, 'but why, we're in no hurry'.

I would definitely opt for the trampoline option if you can, you can take your whole family out (kids, pets, etc), that's what we do.
Hope this helps you decide.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fusion, that's a very nice informative thought out reply. I've have a 2010 Revo13, and have the lust for something else like a PA, but when I read something like this, I cool off again ! haha

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All very good advice. . . thank you.

I'm about to do a new post. . . AI vs. TI (The constant debate)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gregoire :
They are the same boat, one just has another seat, performance is about the same, the designs use many of the same parts, etc.
Really the only question is if your alone most of the time the AI is perfect. If you take your family with you most of the time then the TI may be a better choice (either is a good choice really).
We are leaving in a couple days for Key West for mini lobster season. We are scuba divers, and will be trying to catch as many of those tasty critters as we can. There will be 4 of us with tanks and dive gear (we will tow the extra tanks and dive gear on a second pull behind kayak). I honestly don't think I could do that on an AI.
I'm just sayin
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gregoire, have a look at viewtopic.php?f=70&t=43743&p=215688#p215688
This is an excellent article on sailing an Island.

Don't be too daunted by how much information.
It will all fall into place as time goes by.

Cheers, Brian in South Australia.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just another voice here.....as a newbie to the TI and mirage kayaks I wondered the same. I have had experience kayaking before I purchased my TI and also experience sailing. I wanted to be able to experience both.

While I have only taken the TI out once as a kayak on the open ocean, I can say I was not disappointed. I took my 7 year old daughter with me and it was extremely stable, relatively fast, and fun! I actually tried paddling while using the mirage drives. Worked just fine....got a bit of extra push with the paddles. However, because your feet are moving it seems you loose some leverage needed to really paddle using a powerful stroke. Anyway, much prefer the mirages to paddling! they are really efficient.

I love the fact that this craft is so versatile. Sailing is fantastic with it. I am not a truly experienced sailor but had enough knowledge to know what to do on my TI. It is very easy to sail. You will love it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The real beauty is the roller furling sail. I don't know of any other sailboat that allows you to turn the sail off right now. You can get roller furling jib sails, but this is the only roller main I know of. What is means is that if you are not feeling sure about what the sail is doing, or that you are doing it wrong, you just pop that main sheet out of the cam cleat, and haul that furling line in and bam - sail off. So you don't really need to worry about it - as long as it is fairly light, 5-10 knots, just head out, and when you are clear of things the wind might blow you into, just start pulling the main sheet and start with just a little bit of sail, and play with it. Do be careful, use the smaller furling line to keep it from coming completely unfurled. As you feel more comfortable, give it a little more, and have fun! You can always furl it back up and pedal home. If you just let go of everything, you will find she tends to try to point back up into the wind, all by herself. A very well behaved sailboat. Really difficult to capsize, and I have come REALLY close - like almost a full 90 degrees!. Those mirage drives are tied for first with that sail, because they will carry you through when you are trying to turn through the wind. I have had larger boats insist they be removed before they will let me race with them.

So don't wait - get out there!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve0 :
They would have to pry that mirage drive off my dead cold wet feet ( LOL). Personally I wouldn't even want a boat anymore unless it's equipped with Mirage drives.

Bob