Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a hobie mirage adventure with the inflatable amas sidekicks. I love to sail. When I sail I use the rudder. But the rudder makes big jumps in directions. Is there a way to make the direction changes more subtle? Or put it another way, so the kayak goes straight instead of 20 degrees to left or right. I find myself constantly having to make course direction changes. Thanks much for any help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hummm... check the steering line tensions. Be sure the rudder is staying down. You may not have the larger "Sailing Rudder"?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If your rudder has the pull handles (up & down) to raise and lower your rudder, be sure you are cleating the down line when you lower the rudder.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I do not have the larger sailing rudder. I have a pull system. I pull the toggle in one direction to raise or lower the rudder. There is no method employed to hold it in position. What happens as I steer the boat I cannot go straight. I go either to the left or right by twenty degrees or more. I want to keep the boat going straight, but it turns hard to port or starboard by too many degrees. If someone knows the answer, please let me know. Otherwise I will have to take it to the dealership.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There should be a cleat, maybe at the bottom of the side pocket, to hook the down-line to when it's pulled all the way out. Otherwise, nothing stops the rudder from rising up some, giving poor steering.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

taekwondo45 wrote:
I do not have the larger sailing rudder. I have a pull system. I pull the toggle in one direction to raise or lower the rudder. There is no method employed to hold it in position. What happens as I steer the boat I cannot go straight. I go either to the left or right by twenty degrees or more. I want to keep the boat going straight, but it turns hard to port or starboard by too many degrees. If someone knows the answer, please let me know. Otherwise I will have to take it to the dealership.

I am not sure which style rudder you have, there have been several. My 2007 Adventure (single hull kayak) had the twist and stow style, which raised and lowered by a lever on the right side, and the tiller or steering lever was on the left. When I added the Island conversion with the outriggers, a larger size rudder was part of the kit.
There was a free upgrade to the pull style, where two lines, each with a T handle were installed, pulling on one lowered, and a cam cleat held the line, holding the rudder down. Releasing the cam and pulling on the other line raised the rudder. The two lines are on opposite sides of the cockpit. The twist and stow rudder came up on an angle, and twisted around, ending up laying flat on the rear deck. The newer style sailing rudder has the same two line control to raise and lower, but it rotates straight up when raised. If you have the twist and stow, there is a small thumbscrew that can be adjusted to help hold the rudder down, but too much and it is difficult to raise again. When you say "I pull the toggle in one direction to raise or lower", it sounds like you still have a lever handle, and not the two line setup. If that is the case, talk to Matt, he should be able to hook you up with the upgrade kit, the two line system holds the rudder down much better, for better steering control. It does involve drilling holes in your boat, but a "do it yourself" type person should be able to handle it OK. How far away is your dealer?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve:

I believe this is a twist and stow with two cables. I have a 2006 hobie mirage adventure. Ihave pics but not sure how to post them here. If you email me personally at [email protected] I will forward the pics. Meanwhile, I'll try to post them any way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't know how to add a picture here, but anyway, I created a plpphotobucket
account and uploaded a picture of the rudder. I think you can see it by clicking on
the link below.

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/misue ... 8.jpg.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes. That works. So here is the lever as well. There is one to steer on the left side
and one on the right to raise and lower the rudder.

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/misue ... 1.jpg.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A few links for you, first is the twist and stow rudder manual, do the steering cable adjust like Matt Miller suggested:
http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... Manual.pdf

Here are the instructions for the T handle pull system upgrade.
http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/81391002.pdf
Send an e-mail to Matt Miller [email protected] and ask for this.
It can be a little challenging to install, but your dealer can help.
This will hold the rudder in the fully down position, which should solve your problem nicely.

Here is another topic on the forum with a video of the pull system in use:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=48155

If you really enjoy sailing, you will LOVE the Island upgrade. Much larger roller furling main sail, bigger amas and great stability, and the larger rudder. Get the Trampolines too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just talked with Matt Miller. Unfortunately, the Island kits only work with the 2007 and newer Mirage Adventure, and the up/down kit is only free to the Islanders.
Talk to Matt if you have questions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve0 wrote:
Just talked with Matt Miller. Unfortunately, the Island kits only work with the 2007 and newer Mirage Adventure, and the up/down kit is only free to the Islanders.
Talk to Matt if you have questions.

Thank you both for your help. I am still wanting to tweak the rudder. I will update you if I have
any success.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This was a one minute fix. I can't believe I actually considered
taking her to the dealer. I noticed there was a lot of play in the lines.
I untied the knots - loosened the screws cinching them down, pulled the lines taut
and then tightened the screws. I noticed now, when I have he rudder
in the middle position, the rudder is straight. Of course I cant tell for certain
until I'm in the water. Good excuse to take the boat out Saturday!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good Work! and good luck on your tests.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, the steering is much better. Taking all the play out of the line, had the effect of making the boat travel straighter so I accomplished what I set out to do. The only downside, is not the steering is a big harder to manipulate, but its workable. It traveled much better yesterday, in a straighter line. I didn't do both lines, I wonder if I do the second which was not as slack as the first, will it travel straighter still? Only one way to find out!!