Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hear ya. I might be taking a big hit if I sell my 2012 Revo11 to purchase a 2015 Revo13, so yeah I know how you feel!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think I found those amas you got :wink:
http://www.finnkayaks.com/index.php/home-mainmenu-1?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=114&category_id=11

Pity we don't have the same product here in the states :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How did I miss this thread?

I was looking at getting the same Fin Kayak outriggers for my Revo a while back, but in the end I went with the smaller (single crossbar)
outriggers.

Then I got the A.I. itch and sold the Revo. Now I have an A.I., but I'm finding it a bit cumbersome and heavy to move around. I was
hoping that Hobie would've brought out a smaller, lighter A.I. for 2015, but it looks like the new boat will be an even bigger and heavier
lump than the current model, so I may revisit the home grown "Revo Island" project.

I'm really keen to hear how everything goes, particularly how the 29mm (from memory) crossbars hold up in rough conditions.

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for Sharing mate!
I too have a Revolution 13 and have long harboured desires to turn it into a Revolution Island and I only live about 15 mins from the Finn factory in WA .
A guy on the local WA forum had already used the same Finn kit but had not upgraded the sail plan and rig like you are doing but he is no longer active .

My project will most likely stick with the standard Hobie sail to start with as I already have it but I intend to engineer up the amas so at least on side can be retracted like the genuine article and add a furler . Its so windy over here I think too much sail rather than too little is likely to be my issue more often than not.
Really looking forward to watching your project progress .
Cheers Brendon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All

KAYAK SOLD, KAYAK SOLD BECAUSE HOBIE BOUGHT OUT NEW VERSION.

I sorry to admit but with the new versions coming out, I sold the kayak and outriggers to another person, a very easy sell.

I still have my custom sail because I am going to put it on the new kayak that I buy.

Sorry all, will let you know when I replace it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know the feeling, I've put my 2013 Outback on the market so I can get a 2015 Revo13 to complement my Revo11.
Good luck and I look forward to the Revolution Island part 2 :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Agreed Jcanracer,

Anyone selling a 2012-2014 Hobie Adventure (not island) as base model and with cart and optionally with daggerboard.

In Brisbane Qld Australia area.

No other accessories please.

I want to finish this project.

Otherwise I have to buy a new model which im ok with but its pricey ill admit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I want to do something like this with my Revo 16, add something better than the Sidekicks which are good but are Floats to prevent capsizing not AMA for sailing, they work however.

Those AMA look good but the AKA are obviously going to snap in the first good wind and chop you enter. If you go to that website they show them as "Stabilisers" on Canoes and the flimsy AKA would be OK for that but not real sailing.

The Sidekick will snap and float off too if you give it too much and these have a longer moment arm than the Sidekick so don't expect an all-weather boat.
I see they are just sitting on top of the yak too, not mounted yet, the prob is the lack of flat surfaces on a Hobie to attach Tube brackets.

Many years have passed but we still don't have an in-the-water AMA, like the AI, to retrofit to our sailing kayaks.
There are these, http://finnkayaks.com/index.php?product ... t&Itemid=1 , but the AMA also are too light for real sailing, by that I mean in the Pacific Ocean with a fresh breeze and a good chop on the water, not some placid American lake with light zephyrs.

Spring Creek AMA are sleek and work in the water but again the AKA is too light and the mounting system allows the AMA to swivel as per this video. Once again, Spring Creek AMA are "Stabilisers" for Canoes not Sailing AMA and strong wind and wave would break 'em quick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRaF5sk_zHk

Or a new Aussie product that looks like it would be easy to mount to the existing Sidekick AKA and adjusted to be in the water when the Yak is level, like the AI, however there would be no 3-position option as they would be fixed and cannot rotate. IMO that is a good thing, they are my fav choice ATM.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400904556772 ... EBIDX%3AIT

I hope you get you're Revo 16 because it may cost less than custom sails etc and you still don't have a Daggerboard, thos AMA would look cool on a Revo 16 (Mini AI) if you can just make the AKA and the Mounts robust enough to not bend or break.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mingle wrote:
How did I miss this thread?

I was looking at getting the same Fin Kayak outriggers for my Revo a while back, but in the end I went with the smaller (single crossbar)
outriggers.

Then I got the A.I. itch and sold the Revo. Now I have an A.I., but I'm finding it a bit cumbersome and heavy to move around. I was
hoping that Hobie would've brought out a smaller, lighter A.I. for 2015, but it looks like the new boat will be an even bigger and heavier
lump than the current model, so I may revisit the home grown "Revo Island" project.

I'm really keen to hear how everything goes, particularly how the 29mm (from memory) crossbars hold up in rough conditions.

Cheers,

Mike.

Yes, I too think those AKA are too long and skinny to survive a real wind, and there are no mounts OTC for the curved hobie hull.
I bought the 16 because it is only 3Kg heavier than the 13, car topping it is easier because of the extra length and it can sail upwind, not just a bit upwind in perfect light wind like the 13 but REALLY upwind. I know because I own them both.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Guys, I've done the same thing with my 2015 outback and Finn outriggers...over sized sail on a aluminium dingy stayed mast and home made centreboard in the mirage drive slot. She sails a treat.....goes to windward great. I would love to post pics but haven't been able figure out how. Can someone let me know?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yellowoutback wrote:
Guys, I've done the same thing with my 2015 outback and Finn outriggers...over sized sail on a aluminium dingy stayed mast and home made centreboard in the mirage drive slot. She sails a treat.....goes to windward great. I would love to post pics but haven't been able figure out how. Can someone let me know?

you've got to host the pics on a separate site and post the link to the pictures here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How is it all going.
I sail a Revo11,, & use Star sails, big one, & one same size as the Hobie in high winds.
Have dreamed of outriggers but not bitten the$ button yet.
An update would be lovely.....thanks in advance.

PetaK