Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No need Ama Outriggers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had my Oasis about two years and I'm stoked I never put no kine outrigger set-up on her. There's no need. I've been out in plenty wind and only had her dump on me once. And that time I went out planning to push the limits and getting wet.

I'm a big boy (6'3"/225 lbs.) and I have found correct body position is all I need. Even when I go solo. For anyone looking to install outrigger stabilizers, allow me to suggest taking a basic sailing class first. The knowledge and skills you'll attain might be all you need.

Here's a video of me on Mission Bay in San Diego.

http://youtu.be/nSKFaL0OWXA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What kind of wind speed did you have during that video?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Moderate winds. One point I should offer. Whenever I go solo, I always bungee the fore mirage drive together (daggerboard) and add ballast to the bow. On this trip, I put two 5 liter and one 10 liter dry bag (filled with h2o) inside the bow locker and two 1 gallon bottles (Crystal Geyser) between the mirage drive and bow locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Truly doesn't sound like you need amas with that setup. I think Stobbo was telling me the same thing.
Dare you to try sailing without amas or balast on a Revo11 though :P
I'm ok up to 8-10mph winds if I never cleat the mainline, but in 10-12mph without amas I go from sailboat to Failboat real quick :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

damn that tangerine looks good...

oh, nice sailing too!

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah I was - you don't need 'em 8)

My Oasis is now set up as a schooner and it sails bee-yooti-fully 2-up.

I haven't tried soloing it as a schooner yet but would have no qualms whatsoever in doing so: all I would do is put some water ballast in the front drivewell in front of the drive with its fins set in the down position and make sure I had roller furling on the fore mast so that I could manage the foresail from the rear cockpit.

I will be trying this out for sure in the not-too-distant future because I am 100% convinced that the Oasis schooner will make the perfect solo camp cruiser: loads of room for all your camping gear, loads of buoyancy for the extra weight, excellent pedalling performance from the rear drive, excellent sailing performance from the twin sails on anything from a close reach to a run, and a drier ride than any other Hobie kayak I have been in. What's not to like ?!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What about a schooner PA 17....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stobbo wrote:
I haven't tried soloing it as a schooner yet but would have no qualms whatsoever in doing so:

The only time I capsized a Hobie kayak was when sailing my "schooner" Oasis solo viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3990
I resisted for ages adding sidekicks to the twin masted Oasis but when I did I wished I'd done it earlier. We never felt a need for the sidekicks with the single mast but with the extra sail in stronger winds it became a bit of a handful and gave us a few anxious moments. The sidekicks took the worry of a capsize away.
When I sold the Oasis I kept the sidekicks, thinking I might add them to my Adventure, but I never did. In 7 years of sailing that I have never capsized and I don't feel they are necessary. The daggerboard does a great job of adding stability.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I reckon that one of the most important keys to not capsizing these boats under sail is hidden somewhere in that "...in stronger winds..." phrase :lol:.

As the wind increases (and becomes more gusty) so sailing skills and the ability to react become increasingly important...

Fortunately for me I live in a place which is frequently blessed with more or less ideal wind conditions, relatively warm waters which don't harbour many large marine predators and a beautiful coastline with many protected areas to practise in :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought the sail kit for my 15 outback. I'm new to sailing and plan to use the outback as a learning vessel. Do you guys consider the AMAs necessary for this kayak?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are not many large marine predators in warm water?

Gosh I should be totally safe then here on the North coast of Oz it being so much warmer than NZ.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jcanracer wrote:
What kind of wind speed did you have during that video?

Doubt 10 Knots, the boat is hardly even leaning and the water doesn't look like 10 knots, did he actually measure the wind speed, no so it's an opinion not a fact.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sure, it may not look like 10 knots of breeze in the video but years of experience of trying to determine wind speed by looking alone has proven to me that it is very difficult to accurately assess the wind speed by just looking. And videos do not accurately portray wind and water conditions which are always much more serious in real life than they appear on a video...

...if you want a demonstration of this just go to youtube and look at some 'sailing in heavy weather' videos - most of them describe the conditions as varying degrees of bad to awful to survival, but looking at most of the videos leaves you (well, me!) with the impression that 'it doesn't look that bad'. Either it wasn't (i.e. you are right and the description is overstating it) or it was (in which case the video does not capture the reality of the situation as experienced by the people that were there). I am not arguing either way - just that it is very difficult to ascertain what conditions were really like just by looking at a video.

That said and just for the record: you can easily sail in 10 knots of wind on these boats. It might be more pleasant and less risky in less wind but 10 knots is definitely doable and safe-enough with the right equipment, technique and common sense - you just need to hike out, hang on and know when to let go :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

erbananero wrote:
I just bought the sail kit for my 15 outback. I'm new to sailing and plan to use the outback as a learning vessel. Do you guys consider the AMAs necessary for this kayak?

I have been learning to sail with my Outback and haven't had any problems. I need to move the sail setup over to my 16' Revo though since it the Outback is my daughters boat. I will get some AMAs for that though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

erbananero wrote:

I have the sidekicks for my '13 Outback. I've found if the wind is reasonable - definitely up to 10-12 MPH, maybe up to 15 MPH if it isn't gusty - the sidekicks aren't necessary at all. Even with gustier winds I can manage fine without them, when I've used them (in the highest position) they almost never touch the water, just a brief tap as a gust hits before I level the Outback myself.

The only reason I would use them now is if I want to push as hard as I can on a windier / gustier day. When I don't have them on I tend to be a lot more conservative with the sail. With them on I'll just open the sail fully and go for as much speed as I can.

I also have a TI, so if it's windy enough to feel I want the sidekicks I'll usually be taking the TI instead.