Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I didn't buy a new DB with my new Revo 'cos I have the cool-looking early model AI DB, (Grey), which must fit, right?

Well yeah, kinda. The DB seems to fit in OK and at the correct sweep-back angle, but it does not Fold up like the 2008 AI.

I'm good with that as I am in the habit of lifting it out when not needed anyway.

What I'm wondering is should I be using a DB made specifically for this new model or am I good with the old One I have?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No one seems to know the answer to this question.

The 2015 AI has a completely different looking Skeg to any other so far but it is described as a "Kick-up Centerboard", and as there are no axle receivers in the 2015 REVO/Adventure Skeg Slot for it to pivot in I'm betting it wont fit it.

I don't have access to an existing Black-Bendy style Hobie centreboards to see if it fits the Revo 16 or if it needs its own special Skeg which is not available yet?

I have called Three Hobie dealers about this and none have any idea what the story is because most of them do not even have Revo 16's yet.

My local Hobie supplier I purchased the 2015 Revo 16 has closed down and his staff know less than I do about Hobie's so I only got a Shrug when I asked there.

The Skeg Slot in the 15-R-16 is very basic-looking I hope it's not an afterthought as it was re-adopted after being discarded.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well this isn't good Max.
No word from Hobie?
Does the DB look like it will fold back if you hit something?
I have the original Gray fibreglass and a black plastic DB and both fit and work well in the original slot.
I don't understand why the DB slot would change?

Please shed some light on this Hobie?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:21 am 
Site Admin

No change from what was on the Adventure hull. The dagger is unchanged and has the same function.

Expecting a timely answer from Hobie Cat in the forums this time of year and over a weekend... Not realistic. Remember this is primarily a user based forum... not a company feedback site. We do a good job of monitoring, but can't always read every post... every day. Especially in "our" summer season.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the response Matt. I do understand about the difficulty of timely responses. My first question wasn't aimed at you or the forum but whether Max had contacted Hobie AU direct. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

So Max, can you detail a bit more of the issue? What is the difference in the DB slot on your Revo 16? You mention the lack of 'axle receivers'. Maybe it's a molding fault? Are your mates Revo 16's the same?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No worries, mybad, until today I hadn't managed to get the boat and skeg in the same place in time more than once as it is in the Plywood Pirates work shed ATM.
Since I have applied the UV stuff and it's all slippery the Skeg went all the way to the bottom of the Keyhole and it did rotate, it just wasn't far enuff down and needed more force than I need on the early AI.

First solo this Saturday and hoping I can get some Drone video of the R15/16 in action.

Here's one I prepared earlier :| https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DIPQyyMz1g

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
Thanks for the response Matt. I do understand about the difficulty of timely responses. My first question wasn't aimed at you or the forum but whether Max had contacted Hobie AU direct. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

So Max, can you detail a bit more of the issue? What is the difference in the DB slot on your Revo 16? You mention the lack of 'axle receivers'. Maybe it's a molding fault? Are your mates Revo 16's the same?

no one contacted me (Hobie Au).
Cheers

http://www.hobiecat.com.au

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve Fields wrote:
stringy wrote:

no one contacted me (Hobie Au).
Cheers

I didn't because Hobie Au executive has already provided completely wrong advice about my Trailer Cradles which were incorrect for my model and supported the dealer over the issue which made making the dealer realise his mistake much more difficult and time-consuming.

The dealer almost shouted at me, "The MANAGER of Hobie Australia says that these ARE the right cradles!"
At one stage I was told I was "Not loading the boat correctly." OMG.

It took calls from highly-experienced Mal Grey at Sunstate Hobie to finally convince Hobie.Au and the young know-all they were wrong and change the cradles. It's all documented in the forum if you don't believe me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW Stringy you got it right, you understood I was referring to my local dealer when I stated "No-info".
No one was expecting anything from Hobie in the Forum when you were told you were being, "Unrealistic".

Certainly not these days where the forum seems like a ghost town compared to what it used to be.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like you have had some issues. Unfortunate. There are no cradles designed just for a Revo 16, so I assume you modified a 2014 or older Island set to work?

Sounds like the dagger board fits, so that is Good!

Fyi... What I stated here is completely generic in it's intent. These forums get read over and over again, so I sometimes make a point that they are user based. It was just that opportunity.

Quote:
Expecting a timely answer from Hobie Cat in the forums this time of year and over a weekend... Not realistic. Remember this is primarily a user based forum... not a company feedback site. We do a good job of monitoring, but can't always read every post... every day. Especially in "our" summer season.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks MM, I appreciate that sentiment.

The cradles were a previous issue with my 2008 AI which cradles differently from later models.
The young dealer didn't know enough Hobie history to understand the problem and Hobie.Au actually didn't know there were Two types of Cradles when asked ATT, so they did not seem like a credible source for further enquiry.

Mal Grey at Sunstate Hobie educated everyone and had the correct part in stock and unselfishly supplied it to the local guy to expedite the solution.
--------------------------------------------------------

Anyway that's all history, the happy news is the Revo 15-16 is a joy, and man that new chair is so good !
It places the hips higher over the drive, (adjustable), which is a much more ergonomic and comfortable position to pedal and the full back support allows more power to the Mirage Drive without lower back discomfort. I was happy with the previous seating but this is even better.
So far slack-water tests with the Torqeedo 402 stern-mount shows 7KmHr (4.35MPH), at only 120 Watts (half power), with the Mirage drive removed and is consistent with what I believed the approx hull speed to be.

Add full power and you can push it up to 8.5 KmHr but it's bubbling and splashing and wasting energy.
Hopefully Sailing this Saturday with 3 Revo 15-13's and coming back with Drone-video and pics for y'all.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The different cradle sets for the AI's in the past (not AI2) were related to the ama/aka arm attachment. The new plastic cradles didn't fit older boats because of how the ama rested in the cradles. The main hull portion of the cradle is fine - it's the rear cradle that had a higher placement for the ama that changed. IF you were using a AI cradle to just support a Adventure hull by itself there would be no different - either first version (fiberglass) or 2nd version (plastic) - the new 2015 cradle will not fit though.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jbernier wrote:
The different cradle sets for the AI's in the past (not AI2) were related to the ama/aka arm attachment. The new plastic cradles didn't fit older boats because of how the ama rested in the cradles. The main hull portion of the cradle is fine - it's the rear cradle that had a higher placement for the ama that changed. IF you were using a AI cradle to just support a Adventure hull by itself there would be no different - either first version (fiberglass) or 2nd version (plastic) - the new 2015 cradle will not fit though.

Thanks for providing the definitive facts on the Cradles.

I am thinking of upgrading from a 2008 AI to the new 2015 AI.
I have the Hobie trailer bought only last year and of course it has AI-1 Cradles fitted ATM.
Will the 2015 AI fit on my existing trailer, (I think its longer), and what changes to the cradles will I need to fit the newer boat?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Slightly longer... no problem.

Different hull shape... need new cradles.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Slightly longer... no problem.

Different hull shape... need new cradles.

Thanks, they are checking to see if they have the Cradles in stock.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The hobiecat.com website page for the Revolution 16 indicates that a daggerboard is available as an option for the 16.
Is there a daggerboard that fits the new Revolution 16?
Where does the daggerboard fit?