Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am moving to Mobile Al in August and I thought it would be nice to start Kayaking on the weekend. Well one thing led to another and I went from thinking a tandem kayak would be nice - I have two little girls and I would like to drag them along once in a while. Because I am an avid cyclist I really liked the Outfitter. Then I saw the tandem island - damn that looks like fun. My question is the tandem island worth the price? And how good is it to learn sailing on the Bay. Would this be a good way to start before getting a Hobie 16 or 18? Also, anyone out in Mobile, what is your general experience in sailing in the bay in something like this? Thanks, Ray

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

A GREAT boat to learn sailing. The MirageDrive makes this a safe, stable platform. Sailing can start with a small amount of sail unfurled until you are ready for more. Furl it up and pedal home if needed. Room for crew or alone.

How big are the Girls? Maybe consider a single Adventure Island and add aka trampolines for additional carrying space.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cool thanks. They are 6 and 8. So pretty small. I was thinking about the single Adventure. There was one that seemed pretty decent for sale down in Pensacola. Still a lot to drop, but I love to get one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like Matt said, depending on the girl's age/size you might be able to get away with just an AI with tramps. I have a family of 5 and we comfortably fit on our TI. Here is some video of us.
https://youtu.be/54f5x300Lis

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have Adventure(actually an AI) an Oasis and a wife & daughter - I did have an Outfitter but sold it.

Small kids can go in the rear parcel shelf of the Adventure (I used a 3rd-party seat in there to make it a bit more comfortable & it worked well). The problem is that they will be sitting in a puddle most of the time especially as they get bigger & heavier. Despite that we did several reasonably committing camp-cruising overnighters that way before moving up to a double, keeping the Adventure to give 3 seats..

IMO the Oasis it the best way to go if you want a double and can't afford or stow a TI (which I have never used but hear good things about). It is a floaty, stable, fast, dry hull that can be single handed (more easily in the newer model with its 2 steering positions but still possible from the rear cockpit of the older model by ballasting the front cockpit). It is a bit longer than the Outfitter but all the better for that for my money.

You probably don't need me to point this out to you but this is essentially your hobby or interest and they may well end up not wanting to share it frequently. Sure, try to make things as accessible & comfortable for them as you can to give them the best experience that your budget will allow, but the last thing you want to do is to waste your money if they really aren't that interested (I hope the experienced tone I am seeking to impart can be read into this observation). So you need to get a boat that will serve two purposes but also your own purpose in a fall-back scenario... the Adventure might suffice as an excellent single and a short-term stop-gap double and the Oasis might fit the bill as a long-term double with great versatility including really good single-handing capabilities. If you make a wrong decision Hobies do hold their value very well though...

You have put this thread in the Kayak Sailing board, not the general Kayaking one - do you want to sail as well? If so, Adventure and Oasis offer great potential - the Adventure is the best solo sailing kayak (non-trimaran) in the range and works as such straight out of the box but the Oasis with a second sail (to make it a schooner) really pushes it close, either solo or as a double. In both cases you will need to factor in the sailing upgrades (Sail kit - or kits, Adventure daggerboard, furling - if you want it, etc) but in my experience these are well worth the money for the extra interest and enjoyment they provide.

All-in-all I don't begrudge a single cent I have spent on any of my Hobie kayaks (I have had six or seven through my hands over the years) they are more expensive than paddle kayaks but they are so much more versatile, long-legged, robust, easy to use, easy to sell and downright good fun that nothing else in the kayak world comes close in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Stobbo has the right idea about your hobby and your children or partner's level of interest. I got the TI and nobody loves the boat like I do. My son doesn't like the water unless there is a diving board, and my wife doesn't like the wind. I thought others would love it the way I do. My desire for the way I would like it to be and reality are not the same. I have the boat on a trailer now and I should have started out that way. Car topping takes a long time to set up and the boat was very heavy for me. In retrospect, I probably should have gotten the AI, its lighter and has a bit smaller footprint.