Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just curious what others have done. I have been curious for a while what a reasonable distance would be for one day (with decent wind obviously). I did 15.7 miles today (only pedaled a mile or so of that). I think 20 would be reasonable...

here is a video from a portion of it. Image

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is yesterday's impromptu sailing trip Ft Desoto FL winds out of NE ~ 15knts. We have gone 20+ many times without even realizing it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have a tandem Island and often do 50-60 milers with ours. Our favorite place to go up here in sarasota is Egmont Key (near Ft Desoto,fl), problem is if we drive up to the ft Desoto boat launch (90 minutes plus drive by car), then sail the 8-9 miles to the Island (about an hour plus sail) plus launch and retreaval time, we are over 3hrs to get there then 3 hrs back. We burn about $30 bucks in fuel with our SUV. We live about 15 minutes from City Island park in Sarasota where I normally launch from. We have twin outboards and massive sails on our TI (heavily modified TI), it normally takes me around 2 hrs sailing time to get to egmont key, we usually end up using between a dollar and two bucks in fuel getting there and back (highly dependent on the real wind, less wind equals more fuel used). Also our fuel economy suffers a little when we have the boat overloaded with 3-4 adults and towing our equipment dingy (a 4 person inflatable raft where we haul our dive tanks and coolers), on those days we might use 4 bucks in fuel (ouch).
Actually believe it or not the best thing to tow along we discovered is a second TI (I'm considering getting a second TI specifically for towing people and equipment since we always seem to have way too many people and almost always way too much equipment (I think scuba tanks are around 30 lbs ea (times 8 for four people (two tanks ea) plus several coolers for food and drink for the day and catch coolers for our catch (we like to spear fish, in the hot Florida sun anything we catch has to go on ice or it is spoiled by the time we get home, (can't drag catch in the water (we have lots of sharks here).
We found out by experience towing the second TI on a 40 ft rope at a 45 deg angle behind us at full sail (with someone on board sailing the boat), they are able to take advantage of the apparent wind created by my TI (plus the added propulsion of their mirage drives when needed (I always yell at them if they are not peddling (lol)). With both boats together we only lose 1-2 mph speed, but then again we can take along up to 7-8 people. Once we get to the destination the boats can seperate and do their own thing. Once at the destination I tilt my motors up and sail like normal no different from any stock TI.
Bottom line we can now do everything we used to do with our powerboats, after selling our $60k SeaRay it currently costs between $400-$600 bucks a day to rent one (plus fuel (usually about $40-$60 bucks), we are able to do everything we used to do (including bar hooping (my wife and friends favorite pastime lol (all ocean side bars appear to have a dock (thirsty boaters I assume).
Hey it all works for us, and we can now go out anytime we like at a very small fraction of our previous costs, plus it's fun for us especially in the hot windless summers here (nobody wants to average 3mph (really boring, and way too hot). We typically only go out in flat water with winds under 7mph, which is best for diving and snorkeling (which is 90% of the time here).
Everyone makes fun of us, but hey what we have works for us and we use the heck out of our stuff most weekends, and we can afford a buck or two a week to go out and enjoy the water vs $400-$800 per week. Pushes all our buttons.
FE
EDIT: Before getting our TI we started out with paddle kayaks, we would do maybe 3-5 miles and didn't dare going more than a few hundred feet from shore and only in protected waters (intercoastal). When we bought our first Hobies ( an Oasis and a revo 13) we purchased those with the sail kits, we immediately quadrupled our distance capabilities, and also felt comfortable going offshore (but not too far). We realized early on that the ocean is huge and any distances to get to anything of interest is huge (it's all just bare boring sand and shallow near any land in the keys). We did kayak sailing most every weekend for many years before finally stepping up to the TI. After getting the TI our regular kayaks just sat in the garage and we finally sold them a couple years later. Anymore if we want to go just kayaking we just leave the big sails and AMA's back at the launch or the campground, and kayak with the Tandem Island in kayak mode (way faster than our Oasis ever was). We have even ran the rapids on the Huron river (Ann Arbor MI), and several mild rivers in Colorado and Wisconsin with the TI kayak. We do carry the standard Hobie kayak sail kit on the TI (strapped to the side), but the standard kayak sail is a little on the smallish side for the TI (wish they had something slightly larger). Pushes all of our buttons.
More recently we have been using our TI kayak with a 33 sq ft wing sail mounted (almost as fast as a full blown stock TI with all it's rigging and AMA's), the sail just furls up and is strapped to the side of the boat when we are not using it. This setup is more for rivers (like the Sante FE, Crystal River, etc) and small lakes (not offshore). We love kayak sailing obviously ( lol)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Normal day Hobie AI NO MOTOR... We have hit 20 miles without even realizing it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know the islands can get up there quickly, since they are much faster... I was more curious about other kayaks with the sail kit.

Semper, on the day that I went to Cedar Key (Friday) I was torn between heading to ft Desoto or cedar key, finally decided on ck since its only 1hr from me vs 1hr45min to ft Desoto. otherwise, I might have seen you out there!

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmm. It's a good question Hawk.

I sail my kayak a whole lot but I can't say I ever really just sail - I usually do a bit of pedalling and then a bit of sailing or V.V. but especially if I am planning on a longer trip I tend to pedal at least half of the distance. That's because I play in tidal waters, my longer routes are almost all circular (round an island) which means that I always have wind/tide against me for half of the journey, I ALWAYS have a time constraint (!) and because I find that pedalling usually gets me to a destination/round a route more quickly than sailing. Also in the summer months here we get pretty strong sea breezes that often build in the morning to being too strong to sail in comfortably only to die away completely at around 6 p.m. so on a longer trip your sailing plans can easily fall victim to this wind pattern.

Doing this I consider 25 miles in a day to be not bad going - I guess I could do more but that is a comfortable 'day's worth' - but I wouldn't be able to say with any real degree of accuracy how much of that would be exclusively under sail.

That said, I am considering a pretty long trip this summer and I will probably need to do a lot of each leg (out & then back) under sail because the distance is greater than I have done in a day before.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This past summer I sailed my TI solo from Sarnia, Ontario to Lexington Michigan and back in 12 hours. Total distance sailed was 41 miles. Had a beautiful broad reach north but had to tack all the way home.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hawk232 wrote:
Just curious what others have done. I have been curious for a while what a reasonable distance would be for one day (with decent wind obviously). I did 15.7 miles today (only pedaled a mile or so of that). I think 20 would be reasonable...

here is a video from a portion of it. Image

That's pretty good for a non-AI!
I think I've only done like 4 miles in my Revo11, but this is the time of year that I'll probably do more sailing than fishing, so maybe I'll rig up my Revo13 and see if I can improve my previous performance.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hard to say. I've never been out for the entire day and I usually pedal while sailing. That being said, my adult daughter pedal/sailed my Oasis from Mission Bay to San Diego Bay (13+ miles) in 3 hours.
Wind was average and we exited Mission Bay as the tide was going out and entered San Diego Bay when the tide was coming back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk