Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Capsizing and Righting
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am thinking of getting a Hobie Adventure Island. I've sailed before - mostly Lazers in the UK. From what I have read about the AI they are hard to "right" if you capsize. I realize that capsizing is part of sailing, but how easy is it to capsize one of these - are they fairly stable? If capsized how hard would it be to right - does it require a lot of upper body strength?

thanks (oh and your forum rocks - most forums are not as polite or informative as this one!)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think it's hard to quantify how hard it is to capsize a boat... but I think it's fair to say it's very difficult to capsize an AI or TI because of the trimaran design. Possible -- yes -- but it takes some severe condition. Compared to a sailboat of its size it certainly is much more stable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks - this is what I needed. I wont be sailing in extreme conditions but don't want something that capsizes easily. I guess liken it to jetskis back in the day which tipped over easily vs today where they are quite hard to capsize. Thanks for the response. Any other insights regarding "righting" would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I actually was always afraid of sailing because when I was very little my father would take us out in a traditional sailboat and "tip" the boat as far as he could for fun. I never thought I would want to sail after that... I actually stumbled across the AI when originally meaning to buy a Revolution kayak for the pedals. After trying the AI I was not afraid of sailing anymore. It really feels very safe. Obviously if you gets winds high enough anything can capsize of course but even in such conditions you can always furl the sail partially or fully and pedal home!

In terms of recovery, it's never happened to me, but while most trimarans are hard to turn back over, the AI/TI have the significant advantage of being able to "collapse" one of the outriggers in the water. This makes recovery much easier. There are various video demonstrations on YouTube if you search around. Here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMBJ-2Y33Pw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Two weeks ago I took my TI out for one last sail as the remnants of hurricane Patricia blew through the Great Lakes. With the sail half furled I experienced a gust that was severe enough to break the nylon bolt in the port aka brace. The ama folded alongside the hull before I had a chance to blink and I was tossed into Lake Huron's 55* water. After the initial shock of being alone in the lake I stood on the folded ama and righted the boat without too much trouble. I was wearing a floater suit, neoprene gloves and boots so I never did feel the cold but I did need my rescue step to get back in the boat.
Lessons leared
1. Practice righting your capsized Island in the summer not October.
2. Sail with an un-cleated main in really gusty conditions.
3. Adequate safety gear is a must, clothing/PFD, rescue steps or tramps. to allow re-boarding. I have both but the tramps were stowed because of the gusty conditions. Cell phone/VHF, whistle, flares, anchor.
4. Carry spare rudder pins, shear bolts etc. to allow for on the water repairs. (boat comes with spares)
5. Sail with a friend if you can. (No one else was crazy enough to be out that day)
6. This boat is well designed and will take you places other boats can't go, and further than a kayak only would chose to go.
Enjoy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hahahaha you sound like one crazy sob like me.
thanks for the feedback
lesson learned.. safety first

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is rare that these boats will capsize unless something breaks and an ama folds in. Sure, it can happen, but I'd wager that 90% of what capsizes do occur happen due to a broken nylon aka bolt.

It's not a hard boat to right. I practiced with mine early on, just in case it should flip on me. You just fold one ama in (the leeward one) and secure it to the hull, start pushing on that side and grab the upturned aka/ama as you can and flip it back over. The extended ama will then be on the leeward side and you can enter the boat safely, re-deploy the now windward ama and be on your way.

Depending on the conditions, this may be easier with the sail furled, or not.