Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

Can someone provide me with the proper diameter shock cord to purchase. The shock cord attaches the AKA to the AMA on my tandem island. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Current diameter is 1/4" x 2 @ 1 foot each.... per aka.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=56447&p=266507&hilit=aka+shock#p266507

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Current diameter is 1/4" x 2 (2 foot per aka). One is cut a bit shorter than the other (10" and 14")

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=56447&p=266507&hilit=aka+shock#p266507

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's what everyone calls double bungy, most of us with the older boats have retrofitted to that style. On mine while I was in there I added a small specra (hobie rudder line) with a cinch knot on one end. The spectra line prevents the AMA from dropping more than an inch or two when I have divers and snorkelers sitting on the AMA's.
With the old system (a single bungy), I had my AMA come off a few times (kind of embarrasing). Both the double bungy and the spectra loop solves all the old issues we used to have (Nice work Hobie).
You want to get good quality black marine bungy ( I got mine at West Marine). Black is the only color that is UV proof, 'only use black'. Hobie sells replacement bungys, I recommend using the Hobie brand (assured and tested quality), get from your dealer or a plce like Austin kayak (mail order).
Just sayin Don't get the 'blue light special' ones at Walmart or Kmart. Especially avoid red, I had some red cheapos and they didn't last 3 months in the Keys (It's kinda sunny there). Just FYI any black plastic or cloth uses carbon black colorant to make the black color, Carbon black is a natural UV inhibitor.
Like Henry Ford said you can have any color you like as long as it's black (lol).
Hope this helps
FE

PS when storing the boat It's a pretty good idea to unload the tension off of all bungy cords on the boat (including the front hatch). I just leave my AMA's dangle on the spectra string loops (described above).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I appreciate the timely responses. However, I need some clarification. I have a 2014 TI.

There are two attachment 'buttons' on my front AKAs and only one 'button' on the rear AKAs. I am now aware of the availability of the (71125501 AMA / AKA DBL SHOCK CORD ASSY). I assume this part will work with my front AKAs that have two buttons. It does not appear that I can use double shock cord with my current end screws due to the size of the hole. Is it possible to enlarge the holes in my current shock cord end screws to accept double shock cord? Or should I just purchase the complete double shock cord assemblies?

I believe that you are saying that you use spectra line where you don't use a double shock cord. Would it be too much to ask for a photo of the spectra setup?

How have the older boats retrofitted to a double bungee with only one attachment button?

Regardless, I am enlightened and will pursue a fix for next year's season. Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually there are many really good ideas and posts on this forum regarding 'double bungy' solutions, if you use the search function (a huge wealth of knowledge). All of them obviously work very well, I can describe what I did to help my own situation.
The reason for the double redundent bungy systems is many of us had our AMA's fall off when out at sea (in the early days), I have had 3 TI's now, buying my first in spring 2010 (boy have they come a long way (improvements)).
Here is a close up of my setup. It's just 1/4" black bungy material (West Marine), fed thru the existing holes on the black screw in caps (use needle nose pliers to remove the caps).
The small loops of spectra (which is extremely tough and durable) allow you to put many loops and misc things onto the existing buttons (I sometimes have 3-4 things all hanging from those little buttons (ie.. things like bungys, tramps, rope ladders, spinnaker pulleys, etc)).

Here is a pic with a whole pile of crap attached to one of the buttons.

Here is a pic of my original 2010 TI with the single 1/4" bungy, my AMA's would fall off all the time, and you couldn't sit on the AMA's at all (we are divers), or climb into the boat over the AMA's

Here is a video I made kind of showing how to harden a TI for offshore (we go mostly offshore in the Keys). It shows and explains the bungy setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BcdE0137Xk

You don't have to do like I did, there are a dozen different solutions out there that all work fine, just pick one and run with it.
Hope this helps
FE