Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2013 Adventure kayak (not AI). I have added the kayak sail, sailing rudder, and daggerboard. The kayak is awesome and a capable sailing kayak. I have an idea to buy all the parts necessary to have one AI ama on the kayak.

I think this would change the whole sailing experience and make it more offshore capable for fishing. I would also add the furler kit for the standard kayak sail.

Has anyone ever done this or have this setup? If so please share information on performance.

Has anyone at Oceanside tried this out?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:21 am 
Site Admin

I have seen references in the forums to using them with a single ama. Seems to work quite well. Much more stable for fishing.

Outrigger Mode: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=56083&p=264343&hilit=single+ama#p264343

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, I read some on AI owners using one ama and pedaling around, but what about adventure kayak owners adding one AI ama and using standard kayak sail?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:39 am 
Site Admin

Will add some drag, but will be so much more stable.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just thinking out loud here, since Hobie came out with the new AI-2 in 2015, you might be able to find an older (2012 to 2014) complete AI (maybe with a questionable main hull) for next to nothing. This way you get all the Ama's, AKA's, mounting brackets, mast holder, and sails (which are all expensive). Since you have a good hull and mirage drive already, you could sell the extra mirage drive to fund the project. I'm pretty sure you can switch out the T&S rudder with the better AI drop down rudder. I would be looking on craigslist.
Just a thought
FE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fusioneng wrote:
Just thinking out loud here, since Hobie came out with the new AI-2 in 2015, you might be able to find an older (2012 to 2014) complete AI (maybe with a questionable main hull) for next to nothing. This way you get all the Ama's, AKA's, mounting brackets, mast holder, and sails (which are all expensive). Since you have a good hull and mirage drive already, you could sell the extra mirage drive to fund the project. I'm pretty sure you can switch out the T&S rudder with the better AI drop down rudder. I would be looking on craigslist.
Just a thought

Thats a good thought. Thanks for your input. So if i buy a used AI for $2000 then sell the hull with drive for $1500, then it would only cost me $500 to upgrade my adventure to AI. Brilliant. Now I just need $2k

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was thinking more like something with a bad hull is kind of value less without a good main hull, maybe $500 bucks or so for whats left. I think a replacement hull is around $1500 with shipping so most wouldn't want to fork out that $1500 for a new hull especially since you can get a fairly decent working AI for $2 grand.
You won't find it in craigs list for $500, they always have them listed for way more, when you go see them you see the hull is trash, then offer $500 for whats left. Many dealers have crap like that sitting out back that they can't sell (trade ins). I know our dealer has a grave yard out back where I sometimes rummage around for used parts (tried to get some used TI aka bars from them once for one of my projects).
Doesn't hurt to ask around or check CL. You never know whats out there till you look.

You might also want to look into the Hobie sidekick AMA's, they are pretty inexpensive and a lot of Hobie kayak sailers swear by them.
The Adventure boat you have right now with the dagger board, is probably the best kayak sail boat Hobie ever made. I kayak sailed for many years and never put any AMA's on my kayaks (Kayak sailers call AMA's training wheels (lol).
Just tryin to give you ideas here.
FE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Appreciate your input. Dealer in my area has a brand new 2013 AI leftover stock. Said he would sell it to me for $2750. This is very tempting. I could probably get $1500 for my adventure with sailing accessories on CL. I think buying all the parts to mount one ama to my adventure will run around $800-900. Cost-benefit would say buy the new / old model AI.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Heron, consider carefully before selling ALL your kayak sailing gear as you upgrade to an AI. I did and regretted it because later I had to buy another sail & mast so that I could sail the AI hull as a kayak again. As Fusion man says the Adventure hull is the best sailing kayak that Hobie (and quite possibly anybody else out there) has produced. The AI sails faster but that is not necessarily a good thing... depends what you're after and you might find that you realise your needs were not what you thought they were once you have burnt your bridges. FWIW I hardly ever use my AI as a trimaran - but I take the AI hull out as a kayak & sail it all the time - the akas, amas & AI mast & sail spend most of the time living in luxury in my airconditioned garage :roll:

Incidentally, to sail the AI hull with the kayak mast & sail requires an adapter to be made so that you can downsize the AI mast base to the kayak-sized mast base. This is easy enough to do - requires the bottom end of a (broken?) windsurfer mast which you can acquire for next to $0 plus a few bits from the Hobie parts catalogue (AI mast insert - i.e. the thingummy that goes in the bottom of the AI mast, roller furling drum, kayak mast-base - to go inside the adapter), a bit of plastic pipe or a pipe fitting of some sort and some epoxy glue (from memory I think that's about it). Once done you have the best of all worlds - AI/Kayak; sail/pedal/paddle/motor; and in your case 0,1 or 2 amas as required! Yay!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great input even a year later. I keep thinking about adding the one AI ama to my Adventure. I think I will pull the trigger on this setup and see how it goes.

If anyone has sailed the adventure with the standard kayak sail and one AI ama please chime in on overall experience.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail my AI with one Ama and Standard sail all of the time.

On a typical beach launch/land, Im still nervous in full AI mode, so I rigged the standard sail to fit. Less money if I break something :)

As far as one outrigger and Standard sail = Usually when Im fishing and theres a little breeze. Much easier for me (less time consuming) to tear down & maneuver with the fishing gear. Quicker and more relaxing then peddling on the return back. I find that it takes a little effort to get going correctly with the smaller sail (few mirage peddles & pointing correctly)- but does its job well.

Like other AI owners- Anything 8-10mph constant and Im all in sailing with a smile