Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bridge Clearance
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There is a bridge between my dock and the Gulf of Mexico, with a clearance at high tide of around 10 feet.

1. What clearance do you need for an Outback with a Hobie sail kit on it? Same question for the Revolution 11 (probably about the same answer I'd guess). I guess this is the length of the mast plus whatever is the distance from the mast base to the level of the water.

2. Are you intended to be able to put up the mast on the water? So could I paddle past the bridge and then set up the sail, and then take it down before going under the bridge. The bridge is back in a bay, so the water is not likely to be very rough near it.

Post subject: Re: Bridge Clearance
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
could I paddle past the bridge and then set up the sail, and then take it down before going under the bridge

Yes!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stepping the mast on the kayak sailing kits is simple and easy, even on the water. Even with the AI and TI it's not a big deal. Easy and just another reason they're so versatile.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We used to kayak sail all the time. We never took the kayaks out ever without a hobie sail strapped to the side of the boat (fits where the paddles clip to the side). If we found wind we would put the sail up, just grab it and drop it into the hole. We had Pvc furlers on all our sails. Had a blast.
If the wind quits you just pop it out of the hole and strap it back to the side of the boat.
FE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did you use the AMA sidekicks? I was going to get those and the furling kit, but the outfitter recommended I try the sail without first, and see if I need them. But where people talk about it online they mostly seem to think you need the sidekicks or a gust will blow you over. I'd just as soon save myself a second trip to the store if I'm definitely going to need them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We never used side kicks, yea of course we got blew over a few times, not a big deal, just climb back on and your on your way again. You have a life vest on. We live in so FL and the keys though and the water is always really warm. In the winter (basically January) we wear wet suits.
If it gets too windy we just take the sail back down and pedal.
Also your in a kayak you spend 90% of your time less than a few hundred feet from shore, in our case less than 5ft of water, if we get scared we just stand up. There is no reason to go out 3 miles offshore in a kayak, there is nothing out there. We consider the sail kit just to be another tool in the Hobie tool box (all Hobie kayaks are designed to be sailing machines from the ground up, just add the sail kit). We pedal till our legs get tired, then we paddle, if there is any useful wind we just use it when we can. We started out in paddle yaks, our comfortable range with Hobies is 5x to 10x what it was with recreational paddle yaks. Obviously there are pro level surfski's, hawian proa's, and sea kayaks out there as well, but most of those are pro level and most are more expensive than our Hobies. And get out of the recreational aspect, balancing my 240 lb extra wide butt around and over a 15 inch wide x 24 ft long boat that weighs 30 lbs is a totally different world from mine (just sayin). I like that I can use my kayak for anything I can think of including sailing fun without needing to be a world class athelete (somethin I'll never be). Obviously we love our Hobies (lol).
FE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Many times in Newport Bay (CA) I've had to lower and raise my mast. Minor procedure that gets easier and faster each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It turns out I can clear the bridge with the mast up at any tide I have yet gone out in - only by a couple of inches maybe, but I still clear it. But thanks for all the answers anyway, it's good to know. I'll probably practice putting the sail up and down on the water next time I'm out.