Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh no, it looks like Hobie may have sacrificed fin (=daggerboard) area to accommodate a new mirage swivel (=reverse) option. The base of the turbofins had to be tapered for clearance as shown in viewtopic.php?f=78&t=58293 . Will we want to stockpile legacy fins?

I was thinking some sawed-off eclipse fins may have the same area as turbofins. Also only cutoff eclipse fins may be practical for (still sloooow) pedaling on the short standard masts because they are so stiff, but at least less resistance than full length. My dealer showed how you would want to saw off at the fin base because you want to keep a fancy tensioner molded at far end. A bit expensive for me to try now... may wait til my turbos get floppy.

I was tacking my inflato12 upwind among a bunch of moorings today, which shows exactly what I am losing due to leeway with turbofins. It varied a lot, esp with 2 foot chop. If I close hauled enough to not slip thru the waves quickly (=wallowing), leeway was bad. If I beared off too much and really gained speed... well it was my fault but euphoria distracts me and with speed the fins drift away from straight down and I slip leeward. Between these extremes I could minimize leeway pretty well until reverting into one of the above pitfalls.

It was interesting to depart straight into the wind and return with a strong following wind with a non furling sail. Darn it if the FE perpetual motion effect did actually seem to happen when the boat channal had no room for tacking. I pedaled while sheeted hard and the sail had a slight belly to port and another slight belly to starboard, and it seemed to pull me direct into the wind!

On the return the wind got near my max and I couldn't s-fold it into the center by manipulating the sheet like I have in the past. Exciting, but I wondered what I would do with even more following wind and waves too tippy to tie up the sail. I could turn into the wind and pedal, but that wouldn't get me home. I could reverse the mirage drive and pedal backwards, but that would take a lot of skill among boat traffic. Maybe pedalling hard downwind would offload the sail strain a bit (the shrouds are only anchored to gluepads). Oh, I forgot to try "sailing by the lee" again, which may allow more following wind tolerance thru oversheeting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

daft wrote:
Oh no, it looks like Hobie may have sacrificed fin (=daggerboard) area to accommodate a new mirage swivel (=reverse) option. The base of the turbofins had to be tapered for clearance as shown in viewtopic.php?f=78&t=58293 .

OK, better pictures show they have removed the taper from the far end, so maybe there is no net loss in new fin area... just relocated the taper. But the wide part is moved to the end where the most twist is possible, which you don't want in a daggerboard.

Maybe it won't matter much. But I believe the new mirage drive won't accept the current eclipse fin so easily due to the narrow base. Dunno if the eclipse drive will change.