Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have you also rejected the use of a ratchet block to ease arm fatigue?

With my Mirage Sport I use the Ronstan Orbit Block Series 40 Ratchet (RF46102) which I think is the smallest ratchet block available anywhere. I also use a spring to keep the block standing up from the kayak deck but am probably going to replace the spring with a Ronstan boot(RF2454) that looks like it has a little more give than a spring.

Because my Sport has a sail boom I locate the ratchet block in front of me but I don't see why the block wouldn't also work well attached at the back of the kayak.

Using a high tech ratchet block on a sailing kayak is not technology overkill: it massively reduces arm fatigue.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

in my experience of Hobie kayak sailing (which I can possibly justifiably claim to be 'extensive') the most comfortable and safest arrangement is a sheet that leads from the clew of the sail, round a micro block at the stern, forwards and round a microblock in front of the helmsman and back to the helmsman's hand. That way there is little friction in the arrangement and to trim the sail you pull rather than push (as you would have to do if the sheet leads from behind you to your hand) which I find infinitely more comfortable.

I am not familiar with the deck of the inflatable boats but if you can find a suitable fitting in front of and to one side of the seat (to one side so that the sheet doesn't have to lead directly through the seat area where you will be sitting) to which you can tie a microblock (all you need is a small length of light line as the loads are minimal) then you will be able to set the system up. You will need a longer sheet - and if you want to you can get a thicker or softer one as long as it runs freely through your blocks.

Don't, whatever you do, use blocks that are attached to a swivel - these have a tendency to twist the sheet up which puts friction into the arrangement just when you don't need it.

Personally I don't like the idea of a ratchet block because I want the sheet to release immediately if I drop it to de-power in a gust. What might work is one of those plastic/aluminium rope pullers that you can get into which you cleat a rope to give you a greater surface area to hold onto thereby reducing cramp. One of those attached to the bitter end of the sheet (so that it can't go over the side) might work well - in fact I think I have one so I might just give it a go myself!

Hope this is useful.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

stobbo wrote:
Personally I don't like the idea of a ratchet block because I want the sheet to release immediately if I drop it to de-power in a gust

The ratchet action on my ratchet block can be turned off but I don't. I love the whirring of ratchet blocks: it's the sound of sails being cracked on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:33 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

stobbo wrote:
in my experience of Hobie kayak sailing (which I can possibly justifiably claim to be 'extensive') the most comfortable and safest arrangement is a sheet that leads from the clew of the sail, round a micro block at the stern, forwards and round a microblock in front of the helmsman and back to the helmsman's hand. That way there is little friction in the arrangement and to trim the sail you pull rather than push (as you would have to do if the sheet leads from behind you to your hand) which I find infinitely more comfortable.
X2! 8)