Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast mount brace
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Went sailing on my adventure for the first time yesterday and I popped the lower mast mount off its bump. Was sailing in light wind and suddenly the mast has swung over. Took the mast out and peddled back to shore. When I had a look the mast base was sitting next to the screw. Pushed it back into place without any drama but I was wondering if there is meant to be some kind of brace down there.

Post subject: Re: Mast mount brace
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are no braces on any of the Miragedrive sailing kayaks, apart from the Islands.
The mast receiver screws down over the top of that nub in the bottom of the hull.
If you look at your mast receiver there are threads at the top and an internal slot in the base that takes a large flatbladed screw driver. Screw the mast receiver back in ensuring it is centred over that nub and is tight.
The mast receiver fits all MD kayaks and adjustments are made by trimming the bottom of the mast receiver to the correct length.
Maybe yours was loose or it has been shortened too much?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks stringy. I ended up going down to my local hobie shop and they showed me how it simply screws in and out. I got a new mast receiver and when I got home compared it to the original. Looks like the old one has been trimmed slightly. I've left the new one full length and it went in without looking like the deck was flexing too much. Hopefully I'll give it a try next week.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could also think about glueing the mast received into the deck to prevent it from unscrewing. I have done this (with Scotchweld DP8010) on a second mast receiver that I installed in my Oasis. If you ever need to remove it (like if it cracks like mine did) you can slice the flange off the top of the receiver at 'just-above-deck-level', extract the receiver either upwards or downwards through the deck, and install a replacement with very little problem.