Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sailing an Outback
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking for feedback on those who sail, or have sailed, a newer model Outback. I have a 2017 Camo and I am interested if the sail is faster than the Mirage Drive and whether or not it's a hassle to deal with when fishing (setup and take down).

Salt: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeb5zOGDfoKlEPsMK5GBUOge_Qz5u2koH

Post subject: Re: Sailing an Outback
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have sailed the old style Outback and I have sailed & fished extensively.

(Depending on how fast you go when you pedal) most times sailing is slower than pedalling - in stronger winds and on optimal points of sail it can get up to pedalling speeds but that tends to be at the upper end of the windspeed for sailing: at comfortable/relatively relaxed sailing speeds you will most likely be slower under sail than when pedalling (depending... as mentioned at the beginning of this reply). In very light winds sailing is definitely slower.

I fish a lot from my kayak and I always take the sail and often troll while sailing etc. I hope that it is pretty obvious/doesn't need explaining that when the sail & mast are up and you are sailing there's a sail and a sheet and a mast in the way of the swinging arc of a rod and that does make casting in certain directions tricky....?! Generally speaking, however, I don't find the sail particularly intrusive on my fishing but that depends on having the sail stowed if I am casting lures. So for any fishing other than trolling I will take the sail and mast down and stow them rolled up on the gunwale. To do this I take the mast & sail down, roll the sail round the mast and push the foot (N.B. foot forward is the way to stow) of the mast through a bungee loop I have tied round the forward deck hatch bungee, the top of the mast then lies down inboard of the rod-holder extension tube I have in the rear rodholder so that the rolled up mast & sail can't fall overboard. Taking the sail down/putting it up takes a couple of minutes.

I am sure that sailing the new Outback will be very similar to sailing the old Outback. The OB isn't the best sailer in the fleet but if the wind is I the right direction and speed you will make effortless progress in relative safety - and that usually beats pedalling a long way hands down after a long day on the water.

In general the Hobie kayaks are really engaging little sailboats - they have a limited wind-range in which they can be sailed comfortably/safely (depending on ability pf the skipper) but the result is that sailing is usually a very relaxing experience rather than a stormy/scarey/life threatening one (as long as you use common sense and sail conservatively).

Hope this helps...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Curious what it's like sailing the outback in a stiff wind? Is capsizing easy or does it have similar stability as it would without the sail?

Does the boat heel at all?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:39 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Handler wrote:
Is capsizing easy....Does the boat heel at all?
Just a wee bit.

But then Hobie also makes these for those who want a more relaxing sail, or are new to the sport.

But it's always a good idea to be well versed in this (just in case).

8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Roadrunner.....I would like to see the images you post, but my malware program stops it cold......can't you go back to what you used in the past??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:03 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Doc,

Sorry about the images. I presently use ibb (or imgbb) -- it's fast and easy (drag and drop), no codes or passwords. I've used IMGUR (which seems to have gone out of business), TinyPic and Photobucket in the past, but they have become more cumbersome and sometimes the pics get removed in short order. You may be able to have your malware program allow it. Maybe someone else can suggest an alternative? 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: I always enjoy RoadRunner's illustrated posts!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am assuming that heeling photo of the adventure has the daggerboard in it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For the uninitiated - just be aware that too much lateral pressure on the sail, either because the sail is sheeted in too hard (making it flat to the wind) or because the wind is too strong, WILL make these boats heel as Roadie illustrates to perfection in his first photo.

That said, if you release the sheet (i.e. the rope that you can see in the photo that pulls the back corner of the sail out and up into the direction the wind is coming from) the pressure in the sail will reduce and the boat will spring back to a more upright position almost instantaneously.

In other words a correctly trimmed sail in wind that is not too strong for the boat should not induce a complete capsize and a situation in which a capsize is developing can be overcome by timely trimming of the sail.

On the other hand, if you overcook it (as Roadie is about to do in the photo) you will be heading for the early bath being demonstrated in Photo 3.

Please also note carefully the qualification term 'almost' in relation to the instantaneous nature of the righting of the boat upon releasing the sheet. The effect is almost instantaneous not instantaneous and if you hang on for a fraction of a second too long you may find yourself sliding inexorably over the gunwale and into aforementioned bath.

Roadie is also leaning to counter the heeling of the boat, but not as much as he could be - these boats are very small and the weight of the sailor can be shifted and has a big effect when it comes to countering wind-induced heeling.

Learning how your boat reacts to the wind, how to trim the sail for different wind speeds and directions, and becoming familiar (but hopefully not too familiar) with the limits of what you and your boat are capable of under various conditions of wind and wave are the essence of what sailing small craft is about and what has made sailing an interesting, challenging and engaging activity since the first amoeba set sail over the primordial swamp.

And there is no sailing boat that is more interesting, challenging and engaging than these Hobie MD kayaks in my experience.

8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:35 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

WAVERIDER wrote:
I am assuming that heeling photo of the adventure has the daggerboard in it?
I think he always uses his daggerboard. Although it doesn't reduce heeling, it does slow down the process to provide more reaction time -- an important consideration in a mountain lake like this where gusts and downdrafts proliferate. The Outback, of course, doesn't have the daggerboard option, but is wider so it doesn't react as fast as the narrower Adventure / Revo 16. The most challenging, IMO, is the Revo 11 -- light, narrow, no daggerboard -- you have to have a light hand on the mainsheet!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Why not get an adventure island?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

stobbo wrote:
On the other hand, if you overcook it (as Roadie is about to do in the photo) you will be heading for the early bath being demonstrated in Photo 3.
In that shot, I was the guy behind the camera, not the one in the boat. Fortunately, he reacted in time; It was one of those quick gusts that surprised him. Interesting thing about those gusts -- usually you can see them coming on the water, but sometimes you can't.
Quote:
Roadie is also leaning to counter the heeling of the boat, but not as much as he could be - these boats are very small and the weight of the sailor can be shifted and has a big effect when it comes to countering wind-induced heeling.
I agree. With practice you can learn to transfer your weight significantly, especially by employing the lee side scalloped foot braces to "lock" in so you don't slide in the seat. Then you can really "hike out" (in a manner of speaking).
Quote:
And there is no sailing boat that is more interesting, challenging and engaging than these Hobie MD kayaks in my experience. 8)
They are also great for sharpening sailing skills! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well that answers my question!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So after lurking on this forum for many years, I registered to ask for some specific advice ...

I've been sailing my MY 2004 Outback off Florida's gulf coast since September of '03. In over 14 years of taking her out in some pretty nasty weather on occasion, she's never gone bottoms up on me. The ole girl has survived more oyster bed collisions than I can count, but I think that it's time to consider replacing her.

Here's my issue: I'm concerned about sailing with the new vantage seats. We have a 2016 Outfitter and I don't feel comfortable sailing it in anything but ideal conditions. Part of that is compensating for my wife who has no sail-sense and the fact that the Outfitter has less beam than Outback relative to its length, but the biggest part of it is the feeling that my center of gravity seems so much higher with the vantage seats. Also, I can't get comfortable shifting my weight in stronger winds in the new rig.

Is this just in my head and I could eventually get used to sailing a new Outback with the vantage seats, or are the old wet butt seats really better for sailing?

Assuming that the old seats are better for sailing, I'm looking for a used Outback between MY 2009 and 2014 in order to get the upgraded rudder and latest pedal drives but still have the old seating ... am I focusing on the correct model years?

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:42 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Pollo de muerte wrote:
Is this just in my head and I could eventually get used to sailing a new Outback with the vantage seats, or are the old wet butt seats really better for sailing?
Pollo, welcome to the forum! I prefer the old style seats as well for better hiking and lower CG.

Quote:
Assuming that the old seats are better for sailing, I'm looking for a used Outback between MY 2009 and 2014 in order to get the upgraded rudder and latest pedal drives but still have the old seating ... am I focusing on the correct model years?
Your research is right on target. 2009 is the first year of the V-2 Drive (big improvement) and 2014 is the last year of the old style seats. Before giving up your old Outback, see how you like the updated (pre-Vantage) seat on your new boat. You may want to do a seat swap. I prefer the pre-2007 seats (flat back, no lumbar support) -- more supportive and comfortable, with the 2010 to 2014 seat being the runner up. Everybody's back is different though. Here's a rundown on the 3 versions:

Quote:
Until 2007 models, Hobie used a flat back seat with broad, high back support. This was an excellent seat, but there was a bad batch that had aluminum staves instead of fiberglass. There were complaints but by the time Hobie recognized and corrected the problem, a new seat had been designed. This is my favorite seat (combined with the i-comfort seat described below) and I use it exclusively (bought some spares after production ceased).

2007 to 2009 models (version #2) is easily identified by being thicker and having a permanently inflated lumbar support. IMO this seat was the worst of all the designs -- poor back support, mandatory lumbar bulge!

2010 to 2014 models (version #3) was a great improvement over the previous version -- broader shoulder support higher up and a collapsible lumbar (air filled).

All of these versions had a small common problem for some of us -- the seat bottom could give you an achy butt after awhile. The (optional) i-comfort seat pad (introduced in 2008) is an excellent solution and well worth its price.
Merry Christmas! 8)