Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Folding a sail
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:41 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:37 pm
Posts: 11
Good day to all!!
I'm new in this community and first at all I would be thanks to all for your important contributions. (sorry for my poor English language.. :( )

I searching some tips about fold a IT sail but i find nothing.
Someone have any tips or video to this operation??

Yesterday my mast crash in front in my eyes in a 10 knots wind, I start to investigate the causes and in process to replace it, bu now I need a good way to pack away my sail.

Thank you so much in advance!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Folding a sail
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:39 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:40 am
Posts: 925
Location: Blacklick, Ohio
Typically you would remove the battens. Then you would fold accordion style starting from the foot working your way to the head. Here is a good video. This is folding a standard mainsail but it should be similar for a TI sail, you might just start from the luff and work your way to the clew.
https://youtu.be/Z4ixIBk24qQ

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

_________________
2015 Hobie Tandem Island Hibiscus
"Third Normal Form"

  • Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Folding a sail
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:02 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:37 pm
Posts: 11
TI_Tom wrote:
Typically you would remove the battens. Then you would fold accordion style starting from the foot working your way to the head. Here is a good video. This is folding a standard mainsail but it should be similar for a TI sail, you might just start from the luff and work your way to the clew.
https://youtu.be/Z4ixIBk24qQ

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


Thank you for you suggestion Tom!!
I have only one doubt.... IT sail i'ts made with same material?? Nothing happen with sail's transparent area (kevlar and carbon area) if I fold the sail in this way?? This part of sail seems very rigid....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Folding a sail
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:09 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:40 am
Posts: 925
Location: Blacklick, Ohio
The main sections of the sail is dacron, which is a typical sail material. The clear section is Mylar. If you were to fold the sail in a similar fashion as the main sail and genoa in the video the flakes should fold on top of the mylar section. Then you would roll it from luff to clew. The Mylar is used to being furled around the mast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

_________________
2015 Hobie Tandem Island Hibiscus
"Third Normal Form"

  • Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Folding a sail
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:47 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:30 pm
Posts: 299
I would fold it in half then roll it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Folding a sail
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:51 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:37 pm
Posts: 11
TI_Tom wrote:
The main sections of the sail is dacron, which is a typical sail material. The clear section is Mylar. If you were to fold the sail in a similar fashion as the main sail and genoa in the video the flakes should fold on top of the mylar section. Then you would roll it from luff to clew. The Mylar is used to being furled around the mast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


Perfect Tom, thank you so much!! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Folding a sail
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:52 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:37 pm
Posts: 11
Defy wrote:
I would fold it in half then roll it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Well thank you Defy, I try both way this evening... :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
© Hobie Cat Company. All rights reserved.
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group