Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know if this link will work or not but I cant waste any more time on trying to make image hoster's work.

https://www.facebook.com/PlywoodPirates ... =3&theater

This Revo Mod was almost keeping up with my 2016 AI in a light breeze, it would be even faster if it had a good sail instead of that badly modded Hobie sail. (Sorry Ken.) A sailboard daggerboard has been added.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skymax wrote:
I don't know if this link will work or not but I cant waste any more time on trying to make image hoster's work.

https://www.facebook.com/PlywoodPirates ... =3&theater

This Revo Mod was almost keeping up with my 2016 AI in a light breeze, it would be even faster if it had a good sail instead of that badly modded Hobie sail. (Sorry Ken.) A sailboard daggerboard has been added.

Nice!
I really wish those FINN floats were available here in the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm sorry to hear that, they are well-made and popular over here, I know Two guys just in my area who have them on their Revolutions.
When my AI gets too heavy for my age I am going to convert my REVO16 to them.

Perhaps if you contacted FINN directly in Australia they could ship?

http://www.finnkayaks.com/galleries/outriggers/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sent them a message, Thanks Skymax. It would be interesting to see how their product would compare in cost to Hobie's amas from an Adventure Island.

Question for you, does the Finn outrigger kit only come with straight aluminum tube arms? Or could they provide bent tubes so the floats could be angled up out of the water (to allow more heeling action)?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I heard back from Finn, they do not have any partners in the USA, but are willing to ship.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great news, I am not sure if they supply the AKA as my friends made them themselves.

Ken's REVO13' lost 3/4" of forward pedal movement as the AKA crosses the pedal area but this has not been an issue.

Most people do not pedal all the way to the stops anyway and Hobie themselves claim that most of the Mirage power generated is in the center 70 degrees of the total 180 degrees. )If my memory serves me right?) Matt or Stringy would know.

In any case you do much less Pedaling anyway when you have a sail and a boat that wont blow over.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The 'Island' conversion is a great idea for any of the Hobies. I had never seen all of the Finn conversions before and they look great. It is good to hear that they ship to the USA. Lately, I have been playing with the idea of inflatable outriggers to convert my Oasis to an 'Oasis Island' with the Hobie Sidekick mounts and 1-1/4" aluminum tube. The inflatable outriggers I made were designed based on the Yost inflatable designs found here:
https://biber-boote.ch/yostwerks/AccessoriesMenu.html

I used to have an Adventure Island, but found the outriggers too cumbersome to store and deal with at the launch, so inflatables are my answer. Also, I was playing with the tandem sail idea, but instead I am now favoring the large main sail with a jib to balance the center of effort for the Oasis.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just thought of something. How is the heeling action with the Finns and a newer Revo13?
I have only sailed my 2012 Revo11 (with and without Amas) and the older style soft seat allowed for pretty comfortable leaning to counter the heeling action in medium winds. I was wondering if the vantage-style seat was a hindrance there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jcanracer wrote:
I just thought of something. How is the heeling action with the Finns and a newer Revo13?
I have only sailed my 2012 Revo11 (with and without Amas) and the older style soft seat allowed for pretty comfortable leaning to counter the heeling action in medium winds. I was wondering if the vantage-style seat was a hindrance there.

I'm afraid the new seat is quite uncomfortable when you try to lean in it and my measuring shows it to be at least 2" higher than the bucket raising the center of mass. I used to have the bucket seat in my old AI and it was comfy for hours and you could really lean, I nearly bought the previous model for this reason. however I will say the new seat offers many other pros especially as a Recumbent cyclist the Pedaling position being higher means you're feet are lower and the back support is more ergonomic and angle adjustable for pedaling. Also it seems a large part of the customer base is still trying to fish/sail and retain a dry bottom, (a fallacy here in the South Pacific), so it appeals to them.

You have done a great job and I think those AMAs will work at least as well as stock ones, we are talking slow sailing speeds here so they dont have to look like Space Ship X. Also they are lighter so less mass to propel.
I have not sailed the 13 with AMA so I cant answer but I have seen it keeping up with me in light conditions and it doesnt seem to Heel much at all.
Dont forget, you will need a Dagger board of some kind to get the most out of you're new rig. The homey ones I have seen are from old Sailboards or Marine Ply and both work mounted on the AKA close to the Hull. A Bungee line is used to hold them Down and if you hit bottom the dagger board can swing back without taking damage or be fully raised when beaching.
This is why I bought the REVO16 instead of the 13 and because it is only 3.5 kilos heavier than a 13.
Would love to see more photos of you're creation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PS: You may need something more substantial than the Sidekick Mounts depending on how much wind and rough water you want to tackle.
IF I have to much sail and some wave action on my REVO16 the Well-Nuts once started to pull the Rubber lugs out of the hull on the front mount as they are only stabilizers and are not designed for those loads.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skymax wrote:
PS: You may need something more substantial than the Sidekick Mounts depending on how much wind and rough water you want to tackle.
IF I have to much sail and some wave action on my REVO16 the Well-Nuts once started to pull the Rubber lugs out of the hull on the front mount as they are only stabilizers and are not designed for those loads.

That's quite useful to know, thanks!