Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

I have a question. Did anybody sail an AI on a river like the Rhine? Current 7km/h, many ships, many bridges, moorings and stuff. Possible to get upstreams? Dangerous?

I will be very grateful for any opinion and advice, greetings from Cologne, Germany,

André

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Andre. Welcome to the forum.

Why wouldn't you as long as you're not a nuisance to commercial traffic?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have not personally been in a MD kayak on the Rhine, but I have been in a powerboat on that river.

There are stretches where the river narrows and the current is regularly more than 7 km/h. Sharing those stretches with the large amount of commercial traffic (barges) is not something I'd recommend in a MD kayak. We were really moving fast just to maintain steerage on those parts.

In other stretches, the river is wider and it appears that you can get to slower current in the shallows to rest or allow commercial traffic to clear.

In other words, there are parts of the Rhine where I think you'd be fine, and parts where I'd stay away. Even going downstream on the narrow fast moving portions are a challenge IMO. In a strong following current, MD kayaks need to keep up speed to maintain steerage. Traditional kayaks are great at going downstream because you can use the paddle to easily maintain your heading. An AI does not perform well in that regard, and unless you have good wind, it's almost as tiring trying to maintain steerage in a fast moving down stream portion as fighting against the current going upstream.

Just use common sense. You can see where people use smaller watercraft on that river. Stick to those areas and you'll be fine.