Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi folks,

There are several threads out there with discussion about either the Hobie Furler (like this one that is over a year old and most users have low post numbers, aka they were only active once): https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=53145 or the DIY PVC furler post only. Several good youtube videos out there.

The discussion (I'm on as well) that is going pretty good ATM is here: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56431 I really like FE's approach to kayak sailing, simple so since he uses only DIY or other furlers (Star Sails for example) I need to know if I should keep the Hobie Sail Furler kit I just picked up at my local ACK in Austin, TX.

I think the Hobie Furler would be a solid performer. I think it locks to the mast (set screws) and spins the actual mast. I think adding a cupped end cap to the bottom of the mast would help the mast spin more free. I think it is a system designed on a loop of cord where you pull one cord to reef/furl and the other to unfurl correct?

The DIY ones I think only spin the main sheet/sail (twist the sail around the mast) correct?

I like FE's idea to simply run the furling line straight back down CL between the MD pedals and anchor it at the center hatch. This would make for quick easy operation and also keep from having to run fairleads/blocks to the port side of the yak.

Which system is:

Most durable?
Most efficient/effective at doing it's job (furling/reefing the sail)?
Most basic in operation (simple?).

I couldn't find a post about DIY vs Hobie

Thank you,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are the DIY instructions that I have used on the Hobie sail:

http://dizzybigfish.co.uk/hobie-revolut ... tallation/

As an aside, the Star sail rig has one other advantage with a tradeoff: Unlike some of the DIY versions which spin the sail on the mast, you do not need to unhook the shock cord from the button on the boat to furl or unfurl. This does require a cleat to be installed on the port side along with a block, but in worsening conditions, I'd rather have fast easy access to furling the sail as opposed to scooting forward or using my big toe to manage the shock cord.

Obviously with the much larger Star sail, a furler is more important than with the smallish Hobie sail, so I'm not suggesting that the more complicated setup is a must. I lived with no furler for several years in the standard Hobie sail (using my big toe to unhook for unfurling and scooting forward to furl).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pollo de muerte wrote:
Here are the DIY instructions that I have used on the Hobie sail:

http://dizzybigfish.co.uk/hobie-revolut ... tallation/

As an aside, the Star sail rig has one other advantage with a tradeoff: Unlike some of the DIY versions which spin the sail on the mast, you do not need to unhook the shock cord from the button on the boat to furl or unfurl. This does require a cleat to be installed on the port side along with a block, but in worsening conditions, I'd rather have fast easy access to furling the sail as opposed to scooting forward or using my big toe to manage the shock cord.

Obviously with the much larger Star sail, a furler is more important than with the smallish Hobie sail, so I'm not suggesting that the more complicated setup is a must. I lived with no furler for several years in the standard Hobie sail (using my big toe to unhook for unfurling and scooting forward to furl).

Okay so I think I understand, both the Hobie and DIY furler for the std Hobie Sail require the sail shock cord to be un-hooked to furl correct?

So of the two methods to furl (Hobie mast spin VS DIY Sail spin on the mast) which is more efficient/effective?

Thank you,

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

niswanger wrote:
Pollo de muerte wrote:

Okay so I think I understand, both the Hobie and DIY furler for the std Hobie Sail require the sail shock cord to be un-hooked to furl correct?

Thank you,

The hobie furler does not require unhooking the “downhaul” (or shock cord as you say).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the Hobie furler on my Revo 11 and it works as advertised every time. You are correct in its operation. You pull one side of the loop of rope and it spins the mast in its step causing the sail to wind up around the mast. You pull the other side of the loop of rope and the operation is reversed and the sail is set. Thats all there is to it. You don't have to unhook any cords to furl or set with the Hobie system.

I also looked into diy furling systems and decided I didn't want to experiment or fiddle around with stuff. All the Hobie accessories I've purchased have worked as advertised right out of the box and the furling kit is no exception. Only takes a minute to rig up and I'm very happy with its performance. It simply works. Use caution when installing....the instructions provided with it are "one size fits all". I found I had to play around with the position of the components to get the right amount of tension on the lines. Also the instructions say to put it on the starboard side, but I found its more ergonomic to mount on the port side.