Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:46 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 6:22 am
Posts: 13
I sold my PA12 a few years back and currently have 2 outbacks and a revolution 13. I am looking to add a PA14 or an AI. I am leaning toward the AI since I do not get to fish much with the whole family going out, but have a few questions. I live in Tulsa, OK. We have a lot of lakes around us. I typically go to smaller lakes (Shell lake would be the smallest), but also will go to the larger ones a few times a year (Keystone, Grand Lake O' the Cherokees, Tenkiller). Also, I will have one or two 4 year olds along with me from time to time. Right now I am waiting for the local kayak shop to get an AI so I can get a demo completed.

How big of a lake is needed to enjoy a AI?

If I do not use the sail on an outing how does pedaling an AI with AMA/AKA compare to the PA as fair as speed and resistance?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:28 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:48 pm
Posts: 11
Nate201 wrote:
I sold my PA12 a few years back and currently have 2 outbacks and a revolution 13. I am looking to add a PA14 or an AI. I am leaning toward the AI since I do not get to fish much with the whole family going out, but have a few questions. I live in Tulsa, OK. We have a lot of lakes around us. I typically go to smaller lakes (Shell lake would be the smallest), but also will go to the larger ones a few times a year (Keystone, Grand Lake O' the Cherokees, Tenkiller). Also, I will have one or two 4 year olds along with me from time to time. Right now I am waiting for the local kayak shop to get an AI so I can get a demo completed.

How big of a lake is needed to enjoy a AI?

If I do not use the sail on an outing how does pedaling an AI with AMA/AKA compare to the PA as fair as speed and resistance?


Hey Nate I was in much the same boat as you and was about to purchase a tandem island until I found out about the capacity plates. Just so you know the adventure island has a capacity of One and 400lbs and the Tandem Island has a capacity of 2 and 600lbs. It might be a good idea to check your state and see how Fish and Wildlife handle those plates. I am in Kentucky and was rather disappointed to find out I can't have more than one on the AI and two on the TI! The amma's and akka's and tramps add nothing to the stated capacity!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:12 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:19 am
Posts: 28
Location: Northern VA
I have found that even the local small lakes are enjoyable with my TI on those perfect breezy days and you just can't devote an entire day to drive the larger options further away.


My track one day last summer on Lake Pehlam Reservoir which is only 255 acres.

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/waterbody ... reservoir/


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:50 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 6:22 am
Posts: 13
HobieMirager wrote:
Nate201 wrote:
I sold my PA12 a few years back and currently have 2 outbacks and a revolution 13. I am looking to add a PA14 or an AI. I am leaning toward the AI since I do not get to fish much with the whole family going out, but have a few questions. I live in Tulsa, OK. We have a lot of lakes around us. I typically go to smaller lakes (Shell lake would be the smallest), but also will go to the larger ones a few times a year (Keystone, Grand Lake O' the Cherokees, Tenkiller). Also, I will have one or two 4 year olds along with me from time to time. Right now I am waiting for the local kayak shop to get an AI so I can get a demo completed.

How big of a lake is needed to enjoy a AI?

If I do not use the sail on an outing how does pedaling an AI with AMA/AKA compare to the PA as fair as speed and resistance?


Hey Nate I was in much the same boat as you and was about to purchase a tandem island until I found out about the capacity plates. Just so you know the adventure island has a capacity of One and 400lbs and the Tandem Island has a capacity of 2 and 600lbs. It might be a good idea to check your state and see how Fish and Wildlife handle those plates. I am in Kentucky and was rather disappointed to find out I can't have more than one on the AI and two on the TI! The amma's and akka's and tramps add nothing to the stated capacity!


That is a good point and something I will look into. I currently have the kids either being towed in Dagger Zydeco's or sitting on the front of the outbacks and no one has bothered us. I would rather look into this now then find out at the lake I'm doing something I shouldn't be doing. Thanks for the heads up on this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:02 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 6:22 am
Posts: 13
s9utct wrote:
I have found that even the local small lakes are enjoyable with my TI on those perfect breezy days and you just can't devote an entire day to drive the larger options further away.


My track one day last summer on Lake Pehlam Reservoir which is only 255 acres.


This is very helpful. Thank you for linking the lake as well. I was able to compare this to the smallest lake I would be going to. I did not expect to be able to use the tail portion of Shell Lake, but it looks like that wouldn't be an issue at all.

https://www.sandspringsok.org/289/Shell-Lake


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:56 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:01 am
Posts: 238
Location: Orlando!
I’ve had both. Pedaling a dressed out AI is a bit easier than the PA.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
© Hobie Cat Company. All rights reserved.
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group