Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you in advance for your expert feedback fellow Sailers! I'm a newb who just completed by first sailing expedition in our Hobie Mirage Oasis tandem kayak with single sheet. Top wind speeds reached about 11 knots with gusts here and there that tried to capsize us... but the wife (co-pilot) and I prevailed :) .

I quickly realized my need for a clam cleat. Per Hobie's recommended install instructions my main sheet line travels directly over my head (where I sit in the rear cockpit) through the PAD EYE shared by the rear handle at the stern. The line then travels to my right side so I can adjust tension according to conditions.

My question are:

1. Has anyone tried or seen a micro clam cleat mounted to an H-rail universal mounting plate (with the plate obviously attached to the H-rail)?
2. If so, did line tension put too much stress on the H-rail itself or does it hold?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too am interested in something like this. I carry my Revo 11 upside down on my roof rack crossbars. Its kind of a pain to slide it onto the crossbars with lots of stuff mounted on the gunwales. I want to mount a cam cleat for my sheet, but I'm trying to avoid another obstacle in the way of loading and offloading. Something similar to this: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/spinlock--single-camcleat-no-base-for-5-16-3-8-rope--8155921?recordNum=19

I think some sort of mounting plate like a geartrak or something would work, after all the working loads on a Hobie sail are not that great. I don't know if such a thing exists. I've not found it yet.

oyakers: I would recommend getting a small block to attach to the rear padeye and then run your mainsheet through it. Makes the sheet run a lot more smooth and easy. I use a small Harken Block very similar to this: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/harken--29mm-carbo-air-single-block--2042158?recordNum=20
It works fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Excellent insights Yankee Clipper... thank you... I'd not yet come across those spinlocks yet... very slick. I dug deeper and found a helpful video link on topic as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGqEevr50II

I also plan to add a small block to my stern pad eye per your suggestion.

Happy sailing!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's an option for non permanent mount that IMO works really well.