Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on which to buy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’d like to buy a hobie and I’m interested in learning to sail one. But I want something I can cartop. What does the group mind recommend?

To make it easy, my local dealer only can get Compass or passport 10.5 or 12, which are the same models that REI sells. I have a feeling getting anything else would mean a long road trip or a ton of shipping $$

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think the solo compass doesn't have a sail mount

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think I would go for the passport 12, although I have never tried to sail the compass. Think? there is a forward accessory mount for sail on Compass as the website shows a compass with a Bimini. My reasoning of passport versus compass is I think? passport's hull may be a little more stable for sailing than the compass.

Definitely 12 versus 10 passport, for stability and tracking.

If you are cartopping, compass and passport are probably your best options of hobie anyways because of weight (revo may work? but built more for speed than the stability I think you would want for sailing, but again just a hunch). Outback cartoppable too, but price and weight may be a factor.

I love my passport 12, and while sailing is a fun thing to do with it, it would not be my go-to small sailing vessel. I prefer the kayak option much more and think it gives you way more options and chances to get out on the water. If you are looking for just sailing in particular, you may find some better options out there (dare I say sunf....?) in the low price range. Its hard to beat a hobie cat for sailing fun- tho price higher and cartopping not an option.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kswim wrote:
Think? there is a forward accessory mount for sail on Compass as the website shows a compass with a Bimini.

Isn't it just the dual Compass that has a sail/bim mount? I have heard that and compared the top down pictures in great detail. Possibly they were about to add the vertical utility mount for solo sometime (2022?).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A hobie to sail and cartop = Hobie 14.

But if you want a kayak you can occasionally sail... listen to others.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Revolution 13 (13 feet) and an Outback (12 feet) and I can easily load either one on my Pilot with a roof rack cross bar. As far as sailing goes, I prefer the Rev 13 better. I don't know anything about the Passport or Compass but I don't like the idea of buying something any dealer tries to push just because that's the only they have in stock.