Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Hobie Adventure and bought a STAR Sails Supernova sail to use with it. First outing I went a few miles to test it out and sail was fine. Next outing I took a day trip across the bay but after a few miles the mast receiver failed by coming loose from it's bottom contact point. I made it to a beach where I was able to unscrew+remove the mast receiver and see that everyting appeared fine. I reinsterted the mast reciever and was able to get it very tight and figured that would do the trick. Once I got back out and deployed the sail, the mast receiver broke loose again just a minute or two into use.

I'm looking for ideas on how to strengthen or reinforce the kayak sail mast in the hull. I'm not really sure what's causing the issue; the top deck surrounding mast insert being a little too flexible, the receiver tube not well enough engaged over the 'nub' that holds it in place, or maybe the larger sail just over stresses the stock setup. Either way, I'm really happy with how the sail performs and the furling system, so I'm looking for a fix that will allow me to continue using it. I'll attach a photo inside the hull for those unfamiliar with the Adventure model. It has molded in screws to allow use of the Island V-brace and large mast receiver assembly. So one thought is purchasing the Island V-brace components (if availabe, and not too expensive) and try to rig something off that to brace the smaller kayak receiver tube. Hoping someone else has some solutions.
Imagemastinsertfaill by rjl2001, on Flickr
Imagehobieadventuremastinsert by rjl2001, on Flickr

Thanks

Old = 2010 Revo13, 2009 Adventure, 2013 Adventure, 2016 Outback, 2014 Adventure Island, 2018 Compass, 2019 Outback, 2015 Revo13, 2016 Oasis, 2015 Adventure, 2020 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I see this post is a year old but thought i’d ask anyway. Did you find any good ways to strengthen this? I bought an old outfitter and found mine was broken when i tried to sail it. I sure would like to reinforce this in some way when I install a new receiver.

Thanks