Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib for AI
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need more sail on my AI. Anybody have any ideas? I think a jib would well. Anybody have any plans/design for Hobie jibs?

-ren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey ren,
If you can put a jib on a Sport, surely you could do it on an AI. Here are a couple of pics of my ole buddy Punchinello (on KFS, Norman Ernsting here) showing the terrific job he did, with not only a jib/bowsprit on his Sport (he now has an AI), but also a leeboard. Check out his many sailing posts, both on KFS and here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, Ren. I've given this a little thought myself. The problem with a jib on the AI, of course, is that the mast needs to be free to rotate. Possible a metal post screwed into the top of the mast with a forestay attached to a ring that slips over the metal post? I don't know if the boat is designed to handle the extra loads and the mast bends off so much in heavier winds that keeping any shape in the jib is going to be difficult. I think I'll wait until my warranty runs out before I start experimenting. Let's not forget the possibility of a spinnaker too :twisted:
Todd Craig
Inland Sailing Company
www.inland-sailing.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have a look on the www.kayakfishingstuff.com hobie forum at the jib set up I devised for my Adventure/AI using a Topper sailing dinghy jib .

Using my jib I lose roller reefing/furling of the main (when on the AI and when using my AI hull in 'kayak' mode - I have made an adapter for using the small sail on the AI hull's roller reefing base) and the sail is not really at its best going upwind due to the lack of luff tension caused by the mast bending (staying the mast would alleviate this) but I have now used the sail very successfully both on the AI mast and the standard mast.

It adds significantly to the downwind performance of the boats and significantly reduces the tendency of the AI to get stuck head to wind during a tack. It does carry a greater risk of a capsize when sailing as a kayak (i.e. not a trimaran) though ! Overall, the lack of instant furling is outweighed by the additional performance and I now always take the jib when out sailing (stored in the centre hatch) in case I find myself in the right conditions/point of sail.