Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a pair of Outfitter tandems and have the sail kits. On a reach closer than abeam, I can't get a decent sail shape regardless of batten tightness. The sail tends to "bunch up" right where "Hobie" is written on it. If I raise the sheet off the aft deck, sail shape improves. It almost seems like the proper attachment point for the sheet to the aft deck should be about a foot behind the kayak to get decent sail shape.

In spite of this, I do enjoy using the sail and can still reach much closer than I would have ever guessed. The width and stability of the Outfitter, combined with the small sail and flexible mast, makes it possible to carry full sail even in quite high winds. I have had several long runs with one of my boys up front (8 year old), and my wife and the other boy (10 years old) being towed behind in the other Outfitter, maintaining 3+ MPH under single sail alone. The sail, combined with the pedals, has increased our average family outing range from 5 or 6 miles in paddle kayaks to 11 or 12 miles now which is great! That should go even higher once my wife is comfortable sailing herself.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you dont have the sidekicks and love sailing, grab em. You can always take them off when you want "exciting" sailing, but with them on, turtling becomes a distant memory.

Allows for really long sailing sessions with no stress if you are just trying to save some energy and make some distance.

With mine on (and now mounted further to the rear) I have no problem furling the sail if the wind gets too low to make it useful or putting it back up, even sliding an extra batten down the "boom" line to stiffen the shape

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmm. Thought this post would generate more response. I notice when close reaching that the mast is really bent aft. I'm wondering if stiffening the mast might improve the shape?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Plf,

Some folks have stiffened the masts on the small sail kits, even going so far as to add a jib.

The problem though is that Hobie (Matt) has said somewhere that the mast base support is not meant for that much pressure. The bending of the mast is a safety factor to prevent more damage to the hull if wind gusted too strong.

That being said, it would help, and others have stiffened their masts. But im making 5-6 kts under sail with a decent breeze so Im probably not going to stiffen mine, though I am going to do the block and tackle rig mods