Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Miracle 20
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys,

I recently bought a 98 Miracle 20 and I'm kind of torn about this boat. The guy who owned it before me was a racer and completely updated the thing to be a rocket ship. I was pumped to get on something so fast and pulled the trigger, forgetting that the whole point I started looking to buy a boat this season was to have something to teach my wife on before we move up to a liveaboard cat in a few years. I was thinking that this boat would keep me interested while she learned the fundamentals, and then we could move into the more technical aspects of sail trim and seamanship as she progressed. The biggest problem for me is rigging the boat. I underestimated how long the set up for this boat would take. Unfortunately we can't keep it in the water so every sail means stepping the mast. Does anyone have any tips on speeding up set up time? I live on the Cape in the Waqoit bay area. We've been trying to join the yacht club up the street but since we just moved to the area we haven't found anyone to sponsor us. Does anyone have any out of the box ideas of an area we can keep the boat rigged for the season? I've debated knocking on doors in my area to see if any of the rich folks around me would allow a cat on their beach for the season but haven't gotten the balls for that yet! The second problem I'm having, which is a double edged sword, is just how fast this freaking boat is! My wife is not shy in joining me on my adventures whether it's lead climbing, elk hunting, scuba, etc..., but high pressure is not the best way to learn and high stress never makes a good teacher. I'm wondering if I bit off more than I can chew here if I expect her to enjoy the sport and become confident herself. Does anyone have any advice for keeping her excited without scaring her off? I realize that this is a rather vague rant but I'm hoping some of you old salts here might have some advice or insight. Thanks in advance!

-Fair winds and following seas-

Post subject: Re: Hobie Miracle 20
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hate to say it, but it sounds like the Miracle 20 was the wrong boat for you based on what your real needs seem to be. The 20 is an awesomely exciting boat (had one for about 10 years), but it is really a racing machine designed for experts. Many experienced racers gave up on the 20 because of its reputation for beating up the crew.

There are a few things you might be able to do to help speed up the rigging process (keep the rudders on for trailering, simplify or remove some of the controls), but overall, it is simply not a beginner boat - that’s just not what it’s inteded to be. I would think a Hobie 16, Getaway, or 18 would be a much better fit for your needs.

If you do decide to give it a go with the 20, I would certainly stick to light wind days at first and/or sail without the jib until your wife gets comfortable. The boat will still go plenty fast as a uni-rig.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you leave the side shrouds connected? Then, can the two of you raise the mast, and then one hold it in place while the other pins the forestay? It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do that.
I usually have to use a gin pole to step my mast because I'm by myself. Even that only takes about 10 minutes I think.
But then there's all the other stuff...if I'm by myself, it takes me 50 minutes, if my wife is along, we can rig it in about 35 minutes.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We sail a Hobie 16. With two of us it takes about 30 minutes from pulling into the lot to being ready to sail. I am somewhat of a beginner but I'm not sure the bigger boat offers any advantage for learning.

1978 Hobie 16

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the replies!

dorienc, leaving the side shrouds on is a great idea don't know why I never thought of that. I put a new winch on the trailer tongue, and with my wife on the winch and me stabilizing, raising the mast is much quicker.

srm, she definitely beats up the crew! I was shocked when I asked about all the bruises on my wife's legs, and she said from sailing the other day!! Damn travelers are right where you wanna sit. Keeping the rudders on is definitely a good move. I think I'm going to leave off the spinnaker chute and bow sprit to cut down on setup. It's still very fast with just the main and most of the sailing we've been doing has been with the jib furled. The problem I'm running into sailing as a uni-rig is stalling on my tacks. It's amazing, it will go from 16 knots to a complete stall. Any tips for this? I've tried releasing the main sheet a little earlier and easing up on the rudders but I still have a lot of difficulty getting my bow across. Dagger boards? Weight distribution?

Waiex191, what size are you and your mate? I was worried that the smaller boats (16/18) might be too small for us. My wife and I are fine, but my other mate is my size and were pushing 450#. Do you feel like the 16 is a good size for you? I wouldn't mind a lighter mast! Do you have wings on it?

Again, thanks for the kind reply!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

kellmic5 wrote:
Waiex191, what size are you and your mate? I was worried that the smaller boats (16/18) might be too small for us. My wife and I are fine, but my other mate is my size and were pushing 450#. Do you feel like the 16 is a good size for you? I wouldn't mind a lighter mast! Do you have wings on it?

Again, thanks for the kind reply!

My son and I are up to about 410. We definitely have to watch our positioning when sailing. I think it is a good size. We also have a Supercat 17 project and I'm looking forward to getting that boat going due to the extra flotation. I took my other son and wife on the boat, and 3 up it seemed too small. No wings, I think an H16 is the wrong boat for that.

Check out this Joyrider TV video, 475 lbs on an H16.
https://youtu.be/taeSZfsIaGw

1978 Hobie 16

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The 16 is a little small for 3up sailing. would need quite a breeze to make it exciting. 3 adults is much better suitedd for the 18. No problem then, and lift the hull in a moderate wind.