Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seaworthy Boat?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The inside bolt on the front cross bar on the port side spins. When I try and tighten it never tightens. I can't loosen it either. I also tried to pull it out with a pair of vice grips. It won't budge. The outside bolt was lose but it tightened up.

Of course I find this the weekend before going to Mexico for the Fleet 514 Piñata Regatta. :x

In years past when I would try and tighten this bolt it was frozen. I sailed the boat twice last year in light winds. I did turn it over.
Other than it was easy sailing. Next weekend will be the first time for sailing this year

Given that I've already registered for the regatta I'm trying to rationalize one more weekend of sailing.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

FWIW the starboard side is good. Both bolts are tight.

For a weekend of light wind sailing 3/4 front cross bar bolts should work?

Post subject: Re: Seaworthy Boat?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The bolt threads into a tapped aluminum bar bonded to the inside of the deck. It sounds like those threads stripped out. There is also a compression sleeve inside the crossbar tube to prevent the crossbar from getting crushed by the bolt. My guess is that there is some corrosion on the bolt which is getting hung up on the sleeve and not allowing the bolt to come out. You’ll need to pull the whole crossbar off to know for sure, but to answer your questiion - no, I would not sail the boat with only 3 of 4 front crossbar bolts attached. It is a major structural connection that needs to be secure.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You should fix the problem before sailing the boat. If the front crossbar has not been removed and serviced, ie taking everything apart and cleaning and checking, then that is a good idea. You could try once you get the crossbar off to glass a stainless steel insert or one of those things you stick thru a hole and pull tight and has a threaded hole in it. Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

https://neverseizeproducts.com/mariners-choice/

Neverseize might be good to use.