Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Downhaul Configuration
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi y'all. Earlier this year I purchased a used Miracle 20 and am having an absolute blast with this boat. While everything on the boat "works", I cannot seem to correctly rig the mainsheet downhaul. The assembly guide appears to have a quad block (which apparently is no longer available).

Instead I have a double block that hangs at the tack of the sail with 2 smaller single blocks that hang below somehow. If anyone has a similiar configuration I would appreciate some advice on where the ropes are supposed to go, a sketch or photo would help a lot.

I am assuming that I need 2 ropes. The 1st rope goes:
- from the cleat to a small block
- from the small block to the gigantic block
- from the gigantic block to the other small block
- from the other small block back to the cleat.

The 2nd rope goes:
-from the small block up to the double block under the main sheet
- from the double block to the bottom on the mast
- from the bottom of the mast back to the double block

Does this sound correct ..... at all ?

Many thanks for any assistance or advice.
Mike from Dallas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike,

I live in Bossier City, LA, just across the Red River from Shreveport, and I too have a used H-20 that I'm bringing back to life. My boat was totally jury rigged. I've been ordering parts from the Hobie dealer in Dallas, Mariner Sails, as I continue to restore this beast to original Hobie specifications. The guy I've worked with at Mariner Sails is Aris Tsamis. He knows every part of the Miracle 20. I think a call to him would help get your downhaul questions resolved. They evidently have a huge parts inventory. I've ordered a lot of parts so far and they've had it all in stock. Service is very prompt. I'm going to step my mast this weekend for the first time and see if this thing really floats. I'm concerned I may find issues with my downhaul system as well.

Check the Division 6 calendar. I think there's a regatta in the latter half of September at a lake east of Dallas that I may travel to so that I'll be able to see H-20s rigged correctly. I think one of the best things we can do is seek out the "old salts" and see what works for them.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

Post subject: downhaul
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Almost everyone went to a cascade purchase because there is less friction. Cascade in this case is a 4:1 pulling on a 2:1 for 8:1 total ratio.

The typical rig is with your downhaul lines out to each side coming in from the downhaul adjustment mast cleats and turning blocks, up to a single block with becket (just hanging in space right now), down to the big block at the bottom of the mast, back up to another single hanging in space, and down and out via the turning block/cleat on the other side of the mast. If you count, that's 4 up/down; there's your 4:1. On the two single blocks, you put a line on each becket, and run those through the blocks hanging off the sail, one each side, then down to the added cleats on the side of the mast. That's your 2:1. When setting up, pop the downhaul adjustment lines, and pull those single lines as tight as possible when cleating (the blocks will pretty much hit each other). That will give you the right adjustment range for the downhaul. The big block at the bottom= less friction and spaces the lines out around the boom. I'll look for a picture somewhere. The stock system works, but depends on the small rollers on the bottom of the mast (not exactly high quality blocks).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I needed. It seems so very obvious once you know ....

Not to jinx things .... but I'm counting on some wind this weekend.

mike.

Post subject: race this weekend
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

there is a race this weeked at lake tawakkini east of dallas it is the div 14 dagger board championships for all dagger board hobie cats 17's 18's tigers, and 20's please call bob johnson @ 972-569-7114 for details . there should be around 10 h20's there to include the 2008 hobie conteninal champion on H17's and 20's. we will be glad to help you out with your boat rigging