Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Purchase 1994 Hobie 20?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking at a 1994 Hobie 20 Miracle with galvanized trailer, two sets of sails. The hulls, and rigging appear to be in very good shape. 2nd owner boat who has owned it since around 1997 and is not a racer. The tramp matt looks faded/weathered/slightly worn. Have not seen sails but apparently one set is only a few years old. Asking price is $4500. What is a reasonable price? I had been in the market for an 18SX but this one came up locally. Are there any specific things to look at or watch out for on the 20? The other basic question I have is whether a H20 can be sailed with in-experienced crew in light to moderate winds? Or is it too much boat? I have decades of monohull experience and some H16 time, but everyone I know has no hobie time. Any comments or reccomendations are welcomed.
Thanks jim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check the hulls for cracking at the crossbar connections, especially the inside aft connections. Some of the earlier boats had issues there. Also some of the earlier rudders would crack, so check them too.
Otherwise, it's really just a matter of checking the standard stuff. Check the sails, tramp, fittings, etc for excessive wear. Check the hulls for soft spots and the bottoms for beach wear. Check all aluminum/stainless steel interfaces for excessive corrosion. Have the owner completely assemble the boat if you have any question about whether it is complete or how it goes together. And take a current Hobie cataloge with you so you know how much stuff is going to cost if it needs to be replaced.

$4500 sounds reasonable if everything is in top notch shape. If things are badly worn, I wouldn't pay that much for a boat that age.

The Hobie 20 can be sailed in light to moderate wind by an inexperienced crew, but that is the limit. You will definitely want to pick your days wisely, because these boats become a handful even for experienced sailors when the wind comes up. In comparison, the Hobie 18 is a much more forgiving boat in probably every respect.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Price may depend on where you live; here on the East Coast it's a soft market, and I've seen VERY clean boats go for that price. I think it's a lot of boat and easy speed for the money even in the $5K range, though. Couple more things to check; look for cracks in the comptip around the hook; check the trailing edge of the daggerboard well for wear (some is expected; too much leads to leaks and cracks); and of course check the daggerboards themselves. Rudders crack around the holes.

Keep in mind that moderate wind for the 20 is less than 15 :-) Practice in the 12-15 range without the jib (boat tacks well w/out jib thanks to the boards), and downhaul on and travelled out. Don't come out of the gybe too high; boat is very stable dead downwind. Really depends on your tolerance or expectation of excitement...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll make another visit and take another close look at everything you two mentioned. If all looks well then I'll have the owner rig it and make sure the sails etc look good. Then maybe a trip to the beach. Based on my initial survey everything was in very good condition (with the exception of the tramp). I just want to make sure I don't bite off more than I can handle. Thanks again.
jim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

$3400 2004 H20
saw this on craigslist, seams like a great deal http://cosprings.craigslist.org/boa/1862398337.html

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD