Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:o

can't believe the crew didn't go through the main.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Reefingbuddha wrote:
Thank you sm, that's some great advice. I bought the boat used and haven't been able to find any other hobie 20 sailors around so tuning has been all trial and error. I appreciate it!

In my experience, all of the other controls provide minor "tweaks" whereas the downhaul is the major adjustment on the 20. The comptip along with having some prebend on the mast allows you to get a huge range by simply using the downhaul. Most people run a cascading downhaul system to reduce friction. Upwind, the skipper steers through the puffs and lulls while the crew plays the downhaul constantly, the mainsheet is only eased in major puffs. The traveller should remain centered until the point that the wind is so high that the downhaul is maxed out, the jib cars are travelled out, and you still have to sheet out. Only after that point should you ease the main traveller out, othewise your upwind angle will suffer.

I'm not too sure on the current thinking about mast rake. We ran with the mast raked as far back as the stock forestay would allow, but never added any adjusters to the forestay (although I recall folks doing that). On the 20, pitchpoling isn't generally an issue until the wind gets up to the 20kt range.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome thanks for the detailed advice guys. I have a 6 hole adjuster left over from a old 16 and I could use. I'll give it a try on the next decent day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

great! be sure to tighten up the side stays. we run our rigging very tight on the 20!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, first I have to stop laughing. I watched the videos second first, then first second. Glad no one was hurt.

Things to do to make it faster and easier.

First, you need to tighten the rig. Have your crew hang on the trap while you tighten the shroud (side stay). Both side should be equal. You should be able to pluck the bridle wire and make it go "bung" like a big guitar string.

Raise the main and downhaul it snug. You need a line long enough to tie loose ends to each crew trap wire bungee cord (six feet extra each side or more as the crew moves a lot). The crew will be pulling on this in every puff and easing it when you feel under powered. If it is really windy, you just crank it on and leave it unless going down wind where you ease it to make the main full.

Next, when rigging your jib, try to tack it at the lowest point possible. This will give you a better sheeting angle and open the slot between the main and jib. More pull on the foot and less on the leech. You need enough luff tension on the jib to take out all the wrinkles. It looks really loose in the videos. Also, why is your barber hauler on? This should only be used down wind. It is either all on or all off. If it is really windy, you may move the jib cleat out and back. An inch or two is a big move here.

Usually the dagger boards will be all down (upwind and reaching) or all up (down wind), unless it is really windy and you pull the boards up six inches or so to de-power the boat.

When sailing, use the main traveler. When it is really windy, travel out to allow you to sheet the main and tighten the leech. In the video, the bottom is cranked in and the top of you sail is all the way out. This is slow and makes the boat prone to jump around. Travel out and sheet in hard. Travel out to the hiking strap if needed. When you hit a puff, the crew downhauls (as the puff hits, watch the water) and then you sheet out if needed. (remember to tune the outhaul after you downhaul on the beach. If you outhaul first, the sail will try to pull out of the mast as you downhaul. This flattens the foot which is good to a point, but you can over do this.

Are your rudders locked down? They should always be. If they are up even a little, the helm gets really heavy and pulls really hard. The leeward rudder is critical to keep locked down. If you have a lot of load when they are locked down, you need to adjust them to lock further under the boat (rake forward). This will take some of the load off the tiller. You may have more helm when you tighten your rig as this will pull the mast back a bit. I find the rudders work best all the way forward.

How is the rudder tow in? On the beach, the rudders kicked up should line up with the inside of each bow (approximately). If you are on a trailer, the rudders should be towed in about 1/4". You will need a friend to measure this with any accuracy.

I couldn't see the main battens, but they should be snug, no vertical wrinkles.

That is about it. You have the most important part down because you look to be having a great time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bravo! Bravo Lads!! THEE best H20 vid I've ever seen. What a blast. I teared up :lol: watching you fall off backwards at the end of the second vid and I'm glad you survived the previous, coulda been ugly.
Your bitchin' video really shows off the boat's speed potential and the crew's fun ability! :P
Very nice video! Thanks for sharing it.

well done

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

haha... Thank you all around guys, the comments and advice has been very helpful. Unfortunately the wind hasn't been great for weeks and I've been to busy to sail as much as I'd like. Luckily I have a lot of time coming up and will throw up some more videos as the come along.

As the wind has started to slow down about I decided it was time to add a Tiger spinnaker setup. Does anyone have any pictures or advice for adapting and setup?

Thanks!
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't believe I just saw this. Awesome. Two dudes having a bast with no worries. I'm getting the suction cup for my GP right now! Excellent angle. You cut that up to the "highlight reel" and they'll post it on SA. (Finally, I wish I had that much wind with no waves)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I finally have some new offerings today!

Both videos where shot yesterday during a 1:30 solo sailing excursion on our little lake. The wind was decently consistent with only a little bit of gusting.

This video is basically me just messing around with a few new angles for the camera. My cinematography and editing skills still need some work.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Okm9cFh3lM[/youtube]

This second video is basically a first person view of a capsize and solo righting by using a side stay extender. I didn't edit this at all in case someone wanted to see the whole thing. My 180 pounds just about got the boat back over, even though I'm sure a little more wind would have made it easier.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqY_zMlETo0[/youtube]

Enjoy and as always please let me know what you think!

Happy Sailing
- Tom