Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi guys,
I just got a Hobie 20 with some needs. The boat and hulls are in pretty decent shape but there are some areas that are going to need patched due to parking lot rash. 3 of the areas are very small but I think they might actually penetrate the hull. The others are just cosmetic.

I would prefer to patch without needing to spray gelcoat afterwords so a white pigmented poly would be preferable.

Question #1. Will the white pigmented poly match the white hulls of the boat well enough to consider this option?

Question #2. What product would you recommend and were can I buy it online?

Question #3. Can I mix poly with Cabosil (sp?) like I do with epoxy to thicken it up for horizontal applications?

Question #4. Does Cabosil weaken the bond/strength of the repair?

Thanks for your help and I really look forward to learning to sail this boat.

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gelcoat is pigmented polyester resin. So for cosmetic repairs, use gelcoat. Hobie sells their gelcoat which is not likely to be a perfect match (because all the batches are slightly different over the years), but probably close enough. You can mix it with the thickening agent of your choice and brush it on if you don't have spraying equip. After it cures, wet sand and polish it.

Bond strength is highly dependent on having a clean, rough surface. So scuff the area first with sand paper and then wipe with acetone. After you've cleaned the repair area, don't touch it with bare hands or anything dirty.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought my last gallon of white gel coat from http://www.uscomposites.com It matched my 92 H18 almost perfectly.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you want to mix up some polyester to push into dents and cracks (grind out cracks a little wider and then press the poly into them), West System 406 Colloidal Silica works well as a thickening agent. You can thicken to the extent that your polyesther has the consistency of peanut butter. Another option that I haven't tried yet but has been recommended on this forum is Evercoat Formula 27. It's a pre-thickened poly product. If you want to thicken a batch of gel to push through a sprayer, I'm out of suggestions. You can probably find both 406 and Formula 27 at West Marine or other similar stores.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I see in your tag line Fleet 259 - that you are in central California -
If you are needing Fibreglass and Gelcoat repair I VERY STRONGLY recommend
that you contact Craig Smith of Elkhorn Composites and schedule a trip up to Watsonville CA for getting your Hobie 20 fixed up (831) 722 1654.
I my opinion, it would be very well worth your trip.

Craig has been working on the Hobies for division 3 sailors and has seen most of the Hobie 20 Fleet in Northern California come through his shop. We could even schedule time on helping you learn to sail with some of us 20 sailors here.

The regatta schedule is up on Division 3 web page - come on up and play with us Hobie 20 sailors here!

http://div3.hobieclass.com/

- Dwight.

Hobie 20 #916 San Jose CA 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 20 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 18 #916 Santa Cruz CA 1989 Worlds Boat
Hobie 16 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2005 Custom Main
Hobie 16 #54466 Calling Lake Alta Tequila sunrise

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Dwight!

Yes I am in the new 259 fleet and I am committed to racing my H18 this year in Div 2 & 3. I plan on getting this H20 into shape this year and learning how to sail it before I give you guys a chance to kick my @ss. :D I am sure we will meet at one of the races this year.

Thank you for the reference to Craig. I will defiantly give him a call.

BTW. This boat came with a spinnaker. The bag it is in looks to sit on the tramp. Can rigs like these (and the sail) be converted to a SNU type of set up? And before all you Admirals jump on me about flying a spin on a H20.........I know I need to walk before I run.....I am just curious.

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is a link to a Hobie 20 conversion that I believe Tim Parsons did with Mark Lewis and Mark Zimmer on their Hobie 20s using SNU set up. Steve Reese also has it and they have done the Delta Ditch Run with Spinnakers on the Hobie 20.

http://www.gobarefootstudio.com/PDFs/SNU_H20Spin_1.pdf

I havent done the conversion and this spring I plan to bug Tim on helping me get a set up for my 20.

I also have a Hobie 18 that I race rarely now and is my beach boat in Santa Cruz for the summer. I race the Hobie 20 and am usually near the back and am still trying to get close to these rock stars.

- Dwight

Hobie 20 #916 San Jose CA 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 20 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 18 #916 Santa Cruz CA 1989 Worlds Boat
Hobie 16 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2005 Custom Main
Hobie 16 #54466 Calling Lake Alta Tequila sunrise