Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

first off, i can't believe 49 of you viewed my first post on this forum and no responses!! But, hopefully this will go a bit better......as i mentioned earlier and from continuous reading i have some soft spots that are in need of repair.....what size bit should i use to drill these holes??? I also read where you should tape off your bit so that it serves as a stopper at about 3/16 from the tip of the bit. Should your breather holes be smaller than the hole in the middle and if so--what size for those???
Next question is what product do you recommend to cover the holes and then what steps(grits) will i need to sand them down?? My last question is about the NON-SKID portion of the boat---everybody says to avoid filling here, but it is soft so i am gonna have to......Obviously after filling the holes you will be sanding off the non-skid, BUT if you are not supposed to walk on your hulls than what is the big deal???? Please help a new guy out that is excited to finally get sailing!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is my simple version.

The fill holes need to be large enough to put the turkey baster, syringe tip, or git rot squeeze bottle tip into(3/16-1/4"). The breather holes only need to be about 1/8th inch.

Get Rot expands as it goes off so tape off the area before you drill and let the epoxy expand onto the tape. Tape off the breather holes as the epoxy flows out to force it to the other breather holes. Wipe the excess off before it sets, and don't worry too much about the gel coat. If you are really feeling up to it, use silly putty to make a mold of the nonskid pattern and use this to press the gel coat to make the repair look like the old stuff. Just remember that polyester gelcoat will not cure over epoxy, so you will need to make a suitable epoxy gelcoat substitute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks---i think i will be ok with the filling of the git rot now--but i am not sure what you are talking about with the gel coat and the polyester not curing over the epoxy....can you explain this in a bit more detail---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gel Coat is polyester resin. Polyester will not cure over epoxy. You will need an epoxy that is white to fill in the holes for a match. Marine tex is close.