Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boards: down? half-way?
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Finally got out for the maiden voyage on my new-to-me H20. Wanted to get a light air day for the first outing, and I got it yesterday. Great day and amazing speed in just 5 -6 kts wind. My old 16 would have been crawling in that! Have a question about the boards for you more experienced skippers and crew. Do you just shove them all the way down and leave them? or is there a sweet spot you keep them at? It light wind, i would think you may want to lessen drag by having them half-way down? What about downwind - do you need them at all?

Thanks for the help.

JDM

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You've got so much sail area, on the H20, that keeping boards partially up will not make a difference in upwind speed in light air.

Pull them all the way up for the downwind run.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Upwind all the way down in all conditions under 25MPH. 25MPH and up, you may want to pull them up slightly to help keep the boat from heeling quite as much. Never pull them part way up for upwind sailing in light wind. Doing this may lessen drag, but it will also lessen lift and upwind performance will suffer. The boat will slip sideways and be less inclined to fly the windward hull.

Downwind, if you're not doing the wild thing, then pull them up 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up. If you're trying to do the wild thing in light/moderate breeze, experiment with leaving them fully to 1/2 way down. This will provide extra lateral resistance to help you fly the hull. In strong wind downwind, you want them 3/4 to all the way up to let the boat slip sideways to help prevent capsizing.

sm