Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Main halyard issue
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

All,

After a year of trouble free service, the last 2 times out I've had trouble releasing the main halyard after sailing. Had to flip the boat on the beach at release manually. No problems getting the hook to engage, just disengage. I notice some wear at the sheaves on bottom of mast, so maybe that is causing an issue? - but other than that, im open to suggestions. Not real excited with the prospect of flipping this thing over ever weekend on a crowded beach.

Thanks
Jim

Post subject: Re: Main halyard issue
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Is the sail not going up, or just not disengaging? Maybe you need to apply some dry lubricant to the luff rope and luff track.

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Tom - apologies if i didnt clearly state the issue. I have the downhaul released, the main disconnected from the boom, and Mast straight into wind. The sail is moving up the track reasonably well, we are roatating the mast as always, its just not releasing up top. We tried rotating to both port and starboard - no luck. Could the hook be bent or something?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did you release the rotator? Seriously. Sometimes you need to rotate the mast 90 degrees to disengage the hook.

The procedure should be:

- Point the boat directly into the wind.
- One person pulls the halyard so the ring is pulled all the way up to the mast sheave and holds it there.
- The other person rotates the mast 90 degrees to the hook side (starboard I believe) and holds it there.
- The person on the halyard then releases the halyard.
- The person on the mast pulls down on the foot of the sail (while holding the mast rotated at 90 degrees) to disengage the ring from the hook.
- Once the sail is pulled down about one foot, the mast can be released so it rotates back to center and the sail is pulled down the rest of the way.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The holding that rotator over while the halyard is released is key. My crew always tries to pull up the sail and then pull the rotator over while releasing the halyard and the sail just falls right back on the hook as the mast is being rotated. The other consideration is that you should be pulling the rotator to starboard, with the wind coming from straight in front if not a little bit to the starboard side, if the wind is pushing the sail to starboard, there's almost no way to get the sail off without rotating the boat.

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks all. Will give it a try this weekend.

JDM