Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow! Great insight!

Really appreciate you taking the time to write all this...
Will let you all know Tuesday, after I see the boat.

Many, many, tanks!

dray wrote:
For easy identification of bulkhead failure is to look under the front cross bar on the inner side of the hull. If the hull has waves and is not flat and smooth, then you have a problem. There are actually two issues with the bulkhead. The early boats never had fiberglass cloth between the bulkhead and the deck (92'). Then after HCC started glassing the bulkhead to the deck. The second issue started and HCC has never addressed this issue which is the bulkhead itself is a foam sandwich which is not strong enough to handle the torquing that happens in front of the crossbar when sailing in waves and the actual bulkhead delaminates and fails. Every Hobie 20 in Hawaii has had bulkhead failure. Doesn't matter what year (a 97' hull has bulkhead failure). Now, most of these boats have seen sailing in conditions your boat would not have seen.
I myself can't count how many times I've sailed in winds over 20 and can think of just under 10 times out in winds over 30. We normally don't sail if the winds are under 10 (too light).

Back to the bulkhead, best repair for this is to cut into the hull from the bottom of the hull where there is no foam sandwich and add several fiberglass layers to the bulkhead wrapping around onto the hull and while you have the hull open add a layer to the underside of the deck (8oz.)
This is not a rookie repair so if you are not a glassman get someone who is. I have photos if you need visuals (air in the corners is very bad).
One of the other Hobie 20 guys here cut out the center of the bulkhead so he could reglass the bulkhead to the hull and deck on the front and back sides of the bulkhead, then glassed the cutout piece back in. A lot of this work requires a camera, long thin arms and a tyveck sleeve to keep your arm from getting scratched up and itchy.
All of this repair is with the hull upside down. His bulkhead had failed, the glass tape was still attached to the deck and hulls but the bulkhead was split in half from a deck/hull corner to a gap where the carbon rib runs thru the bulkhead. It's not an if question it's a when question.
I had my H20 for 18 years and wouldn't trade my time on the boat for nothing! A great boat for sailing. Take your time and read up on tuning, watch the Rick White videos over and over, get plenty of cockpit time and try sailing drills like man overboard. making the jump from Wave to 20 can be done! There is a guy here that made the jump from a Wave to a Tiger and after 2 years he is sailing singlehanded in winds under 12 while flying the chute.