Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anybody familiar with ways of running the downhaul through the front crossbar?

I thought it was as simple as tying the two loose ends of the downhaul to a shock cord running through the front crossbar; but a guy I asked about it was telling me I needed blocks inside the crossbar. He explained it to me but I didn't quite get it (I need pictures or written instructions :) Could someone explain how or point me to a site that did?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Similar to the trap wires, you need to run the shock cord from left to right back to left and back to right (double loop). This is required to give enough sping to pull the line in and also allow it to be pulled out when needed. It is easiest to use sister clips and a spare line with sister clips to avoid having the shock cord disapear when you de-rig and trailer. This does clean up the deck some, but may make it harder for the crew to play the downhaul when sailing up wind on a breezy day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I do not use shockcord to run the downhaul or the jibsheet through the front crossbar. I have the ends tied together, nicely, so they do not get bound up in the middle on something. I sometimes put a piece of tape around that so it works really smoothly. There is enough line for the crew to be able to hold it while on the trapeze. They just pull the lazy end through the crossbar until there is nothing hanging on the leeward side. I do not take the jibsheet out of the crossbar but need to remove the downhaul when I drop the mast. To refeed the downhaul I tie it to the jibsheet and feed it through.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan,

Huh? You mean barberhauler (not jib sheet)? Got any photos?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John:

I forgot I was talking about a 20 not a Tiger. Sorry about that. Yes both the Barberhaul and the Downhaul were through the front crossbar on our 20. I might have pictures but I do not see why you need them? Just tie together as nice as you can after you shove one end through. If you instist I can look though about a thousand old photos to come up with something...maybe.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In re-reading your post I get it. The downhaul can be a simple tie or bungee.

But...what kind of cleat/block did you use for the barberhauler? Our '93 is what I assume was the stock set up with a pivoting exit cleat on the aft side of the crossbar. I don't see how the barberhauler line will feed easily thru the crossbar from this setup?

Maybe small cam cleat afixed to the top of the crossbar and then run through the crossbar, wait...how would you uncleat?