Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 20 Forestay Length
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So after a 24 hour car trip I just came home with a 20. My crew and I where trying to rig the boat and ran into an issue with mast rake. Seems we can not get the forestay short enough. We rigged the boat like the updated manual says with the 7 pin adjuster up top and are thinking the the forestay length is too long to take this into account. So is there anyone that knows if the forestay length was shortened when this was put out?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:17 am 
Site Admin

If anything forestays have gotten longer for more mast rake. Possibly you have older info about rake.

The manual includes a basic tuning guide... from MANY years ago, but the boat has not changed since then.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What is your basis for thinking the forestay is too long? You're in the bottom hole on the side shroud adjusters and the rig still isn't tight?

According to the wire guide, the forestay should be 22'-9" long. That should at least give you a starting point.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, the forestay seems to be the correct length and we where at 4th hole on the shroud adjusters and the rig still seamed VERY lose. Should the forestay be in the last hole of the 7 pin adjuster or close to the top?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The pin should be in the hole of the adjuster that makes the rig tight :-) I don't think you can get a good measurement of mast rake with the rig loose as it flops from side to side. If you want mast rake with the shrouds in the 4th hole, need the forestay tight. If you want mast rake with the shrouds in the bottom hole, still need the forestay tight at whatever hole that takes in the forestay.
If you think that the right mast rake involves the top hole in the forestay, then tighten the shrouds. If you can't, then you have to shorten the forestay attachment.

I don't know about everyone else, but my rig is set up so that that last hole on either the shroud or forestay is HARD to get in place; either need a purchase on the bridle wire or someone hanging off a trap wire (or even sheeting the main in tight with the traveler all the way over on that side). The bows flex a bit on the 20; what feels snug on the land can give a bit when you're bouncing around on the water. You can rig it lose to get the mast up, and then tighten later, but tight is fast.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

pelican wrote:
Ok, the forestay seems to be the correct length and we where at 4th hole on the shroud adjusters and the rig still seamed VERY lose. Should the forestay be in the last hole of the 7 pin adjuster or close to the top?

My 20 is somewhere in the middle for the adjuster at the top of the forestay, it's all relative, but if you're maxed out up top and at the nuts on the bridle, it'll likely be hard to get everything tight.

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)