Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boom bind
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The roller car on the boom binds under a load. For example, downwind I will loosen the outhaul and push on the bottom of the main and the outhaul slides in and lets the sail out. Upwind I will try and pull on the outhaul to tighten the main and it won’t budge. I have to grab the clew and shake it back and forth along the boom. That seems to break it loose and I can pull the outhaul and tighten the main.

When the boom is off the boat the outhaul seems to work fine. The roller car slides back and forth without getting stuck. But, when I pull the outhaul in and then release it, the roller car doesn’t move. I have to push it out towards the end of the boom. It seems like it should spring out when the outhaul is released. The shock cord inside the boom is probably the original shock cord. Will replacing it prevent the outhaul from getting stuck? My impression was the shock cord on the outhaul was for convenience. Advise welcome. Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Boom bind
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My guess would be that the roller bearings in the outhaul car have worn out. You probably need to pull the end cap off the boom and remove the car so you can replace the worn out parts.

sm

Post subject: Re: Boom bind
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I replaced the shock cord in the boom and the outhaul roller car snaps back into place when the outhaul is released. The big plastic rollers on the outhaul car inside the boom looked good as did the outside pin with the e-clip that rides on the outhaul groove. I think the culprit for the outhaul binding is the front pulley rotating and twisting the outhaul. I didn’t realize that the front pulley is connected to the front fitting on the boom. When that fitting rotates the pulley rotates with it and twists the outhaul. When I took the boom apart the front pulley had rotated and twisted the outhaul. In retrospect, that was probably causing the outhaul to jam.

I wonder why the front fitting wasn’t designed to be riveted in place to keep it from rotating.

I put a mark on the front fitting with a sharpie and I’ll have to make a point to keep an eye on it and keep it from twisting