Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

First time posting on this forum, but I've recently acquired a Miracle from a forum member here. The plan is equip and sail it 750 miles in the Race to Alaska with two other members of #TeamThirsty. If you were going to try such an adventure would you modify the boat in any way (for example changing the mast rotation inducer)? What essential gear would you take with you? What would you estimate the max carrying capacity?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Description of the boat as follows: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61296

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The early Miracle 20's had issues with the hulls splitting along the seam on the inboard side where the crossbars bolt up. I would definitely inspect that area and make sure everything is in good shape - reinforce as necessary.

Every racer I knew replaced the rotation inducer with an automated inducer. The stock inducer will break your mast if you jibe the boat and forget to release it.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you expect to paddle in the no wind areas? If not, you'll have to devise a way to get out of the harbors.

Other open catamarans have done the race, you might want to contact them for tips.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We're still working out the manual propulsion system. In an ideal world we're able to incorporate a recumbent bicycle that turns a prop, however, I think we'll also have paddles just in case.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Had a 20 Magnum for over 10 years now. Sitting on the hull in front of the crossbar works pretty well for paddling, especially with the wing as a backrest. A more conformal seat up there would be good. The 20 sails a little stern-heavy with wings, if you can find SX wings with the added area front and back, would be better than the regular 18 wings. We've had 5 adults on the boat; does get a little wetter, but I'd say the boat could carry 700 or maybe 800 lbs pretty well. I'd simplify the jib sheeting setup; may not need all that adjustment, and I think a furling jib would be mandatory. The wing mounts interfere with the stock barber haulers, maybe using a separate downwind jib sheet is the easy solution. Don't need trap wires. Worrell trick of adding a spare mainsheet traveler car on the track just in case. Lots of room in the hulls for storage, but opening ports to get to stuff in rough weather would not be a good thing.

Would be really slick to modify a daggerboard trunk to accept a Mirage pedal drive...or cut in a new one.