Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First off hey to everyone, and just a little background. I was born, raised, and still live in Myrtle Beach SC. Been on the beach every chance I get between surfing, fishing, or any other excuse to be near the water. I’ve seen the hobies on the beach for years and always had an interest. Recently it has really kind of tapered off. Not nearly the boats on the beach like when I was young. Fast forward to now and I am 39 years old and came across a guy we know looking to get rid of his old boat. It’s a Hobie Miracle 20. Needs to TLC, but for $300 it was hard not to pass up. My neighbor and surfing buddy has been sailing these since he was in his teens (currently 50’s) and is helping me put it back together and get it ready to sail. I am sure I will still have many questions for the site though. Glad I stumbled upon this place.
Ellis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well you’re certainly jumping in with both feet by choosing a Miracle 20 as your first sailboat. Good to hear you have someone experienced to help you out - that boat can be more than a handful in windy conditions, but super fast and a lot of fun when sailed well. Good luck and any questions, fire away.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
Well you’re certainly jumping in with both feet by choosing a Miracle 20 as your first sailboat. Good to hear you have someone experienced to help you out - that boat can be more than a handful in windy conditions, but super fast and a lot of fun when sailed well. Good luck and any questions, fire away.

sm

I’ve heard that about this boat. The guy who is helping me is very experienced, even with this particular model. Currently repairing some hull stuff and then going through everything to see what we may need to repair. Everything I have read about this model seems to talk about how fast it can be. Baptism by fire I guess. The previous owner had some delamination Issues on top of the hulls where everyone gets on and off. They tried to fix it but eventually cut the sections out. My buddy wasn’t happy with their idea but after inspection said it really was the only choice. We have it reinforced and ready to put the top pieces back on how. Once I figure out how to attach a picture I will share