Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trolling motor on a 20
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anyone ever put a electric trolling motor on a front cross bar of a H20? With some sort of clamp configuration with the battery in cooler holder on the dolphin striker. The only reason I would need it is I'm going on a week vacation and the only place to keep the boat is at a marina with about a 200 yard narrow saltwater inlet. Is thirty pounds of thrust enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am working on doing the same thing. I think 30 is good, but you can get 40-50 with out to much more $$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That Cheetah outboard bracket also works well, and the motor stays drier on the back crossbar, but you do need to rivet it on :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just had a machine shop fabricate me a mount to go on the front cross bar. I had them do it without any drilling into the cross bar. It's still and might weigh 15 pounds, but I needed the strength. It utilizes the two bolts that go into the hull. I just back them out a half inch and slide it in and tighten the bolts down with beefier washers and it is really in place by the bolts and fits tightly on the cross bar. The mount sticks out about 5 inches fore of the cross bar. I will post a picture of it when I get back from the beach. The only problem that I have found is when I have it in the not use position, the water blasts against the prop bulb, when my port hull is downwind. The jib lines don't seem to get in the way at all. I've got an idea of rotating it side ways instead of under the tramp. Like it would sit parallel in front of the tramp, like a gun rack when not in use with the prop facing down and back. EVery one might laugh, but I'm using a 12volt, 12 amp sealed battery, and it gives me about 15 to 20 minutes of walking speed power. The reason I tried this battery is it fits in my hull forwrd of the dagger well. I am only using this to navigate out of a dock slip in a marina for a week. I'll have to charge the battery everynight, but I thought it beat a huge battery hanging behind my dolphin striker. The battery weighs 5 pounds and size of two big macs next to each other. I might get another one in case I need a little more life. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did the same with a u-bolt system around the front cross bar. I have about 15mins of motoring to do up a small channel. I also use the jib at the same time.