Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The NOR/Entry for the Arrowhead and Big Bear Regattas are posted at http://www.hobiedivision2.com

Jun 10-11: Crew available
Chris (140 lbs) spin and non-spin crew experience

Jun 17-18: Crew available
Chris (140 lbs) spin and non-spin crew experience
We need crew under 120 lbs for the Hobie 16!

-Shauna

SKYPE shaunamcgee2000

Want to crew? Want to race? Under 150 lbs and athletic? No exp. required. Contact me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I called the race directors once before. My question is, are there any Hobie 20's going to the regatta? I would like to race, but it is a long way to pull a boat to go for a recreational sail. Let me know if you are planning to race a 20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike:

I am not sure if we even have 20s in So Cal anymore. Other than yours. The last race that 20s showed up at was MidWinters West. There were only 4 there and I think they were all from Northern Cal.

I would not even know where to start finding the ones that are still here. Three years ago I had to call Dave S to see if he was attending a regatta just so we could have a race. Maybe it is time for your Tiger.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are still a few 20's. I just have to scare a few of the guys into sailing. Meacock and Lyle still have boats here, but none of us sail regularly so we have to coordinate to race.

I'm too big to sail a tiger, heck I'm to big on the 20. Oh heck, I'm just too big!

Besides, the 20 still smokes the Tiger up wind!!! :D

Until the boys are bigger, my racing days are numbered. I just bought a wave to sail with them (as you already know). Everyone loves the wave. The kids call it the pirate boat because the first time they saw it on the water was on Kyles birthday which was a pirate party at MBYC. Buying the Tiger now would just ensure that the boat was dated by the time I was able to race it consistently. On the other hand, I may sell the 20 while there is still active racing going on in AZ, TX and Northern California. After this, I may buy a 16 to play with because it will also allow me to race without having a seasoned crew, and unless I get back to competition form, I can single hand. :cry: As Todd used to say, "too much good living." By the way, have you sailed a 16 recently? Feels like a kid's toy after the bigger boats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hammond wrote:
I may sell the 20 while there is still active racing going on in AZ, TX and Northern California. After this, I may buy a 16 to play with because it will also allow me to race without having a seasoned crew, and unless I get back to competition form, I can single hand. :cry: As Todd used to say, "too much good living." By the way, have you sailed a 16 recently? Feels like a kid's toy after the bigger boats.

I think that you may still be able to sell your 20 to some other areas. The areas you mentioned as well as KS. I do not know how long the window will remain opened. I think that the Formula 18s are getting old enough to start luring in buyers because used ones are getting cheaper fast.

I think you should talk all your buddies at the Yacht Club into buying a fleet of Waves and race those in Mission Bay. That would be an absolute hoot! If you get enough of them and someone does not want to race sometime I will come down and join you. I will bet that Todd would be all over that as well. They seem to have a great time with that boat in Florida. Make the West Coast a similar model.

I have sailed a 16 a few times since sailing the bigger boats. First reaction is were is the bow? With the crossbar elevated it is hard to see that there is enough forward to sail on. After a couple of minutes though it is like an old slipper. You just know you are home. I do not think I can go back to racing them as I would have to get someone less that 100 lbs on the boat. Where do you get someone like that who just has to sail? I love the 330 lbs minimum weight on the Formula. That is for the large sail plan. A lot of teams are sailing well at 350 to 360. Now I can enjoy the "good living".

"Besides, the 20 still smokes the Tiger up wind!!!" What are YOU smoking upwind? :twisted:

Take care,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Mike, I'm a (non-resident) member at MBYC and I have a wave. I don't get down to san diego much anymore, but if you guys start something with the Waves let me know. I would love to race around mission bay against other waves.

[email protected]

Scott